thyriod and weight gain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone help, I've been diagnosed with a underactive thyriod about a year ago, I have manage to get my levels normal and yet I'm still struggling to lose weight, I exercise at least 3 times a week with hour sessions at the gym and I have stopped eatting any carbs during the day, and replaced it with fruit, I'm not a massive eatter and always cook from scratch, I tend to take my thyroxine in the mornings before breakfast, since being diagnosed I felt awful in my self and have been put on fluxtine for my mood, can anyone help with the weight gain issue? Surely this cannot be right??? 😞

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunatly wieght put on via an underactive thyroid is very hard to lose. Although if you have been put on fluoxidine, then there is a chance you could experience wieght loss. Dont be dicouraged  though, as losing wieght can be done, it just takes a bit more effort!
    • Posted

If you are on the correct dose of thyroid medications and you no longer feel ill you should be able to lose weight. But a lot of antidepressants cause weight gain! You should do an Internet search for that side effect for your medication! Always give your body a 12 hour rest without food for your metabolism to work correctly. Never eat simple white carbs/starches/sugars if you are Hypothyroid. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Louise, I have put on loads of weight and struggle to loose it, I hardly eat anything now compared to what I used to have but it took me about 4 months to loose a kilo.

I do know that too much fruit can be detremental to weight loss as it has a lot of sugar in it, even natural sugar puts weight on us. look at the label on a smoothy next time you go shopping and look how much sugar is in them, and none has been added it is all from the fruit.

I did a fruit diet a couple of years ago and put weight on !. i think vegetables are better as they are less sugary.

Just a thought 

Good luck x

• Posted

Louise do you know you are not supposed to eat or drink food Within an hour after you take your medication ? This is especially true of coffee or tea. You will not be absorbing all of your thyroid meds if you do!
  • Posted

Hello Louise:

I am an RN - Nurse and I  live in the USA and I suffer with Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease and Diabetes.  Both conditions cause weight gain.  Sadly, exercise and diet won't reduce all of the weight gain.  Some people can take prescription diet pills, but to be honest, they can cause problems with your heart because they make your heart race. 

In  some cases,( must be over weight by 100 pounds), Bariatric surgery helps.  I do not recommend this but it does help some people.  The downside is you can't eat more than an ounce of food at a time and it is hard on the body. Also some people see a doctor who specializes in weight or diet and they can provide a diet programe for you. Certain ones are the Medi-fast diet, but you have to be monitored by an MD. I know someone who did it and lost over 100 pounds.

Avoid dairy foods and bread, as they are harder to digest and cause whammies to a diet plan. It is hard and we all have this problem as the wonderful Thyroid regualtes metabolism. So the replcement meds, only replace your hormone enough and can't boost the metabolism. Drink more water and it helps to keep you feeling full. Some fruits can have high sugars in them so eat ones like strawberries, & apples, and avoid peaches and bananas. 

Take your Thyroxine an hour before meals.  Ask your GP for a referal to a diet doctor.

I have lost 30 pounds doing walking and it has helped.  I eat 3 meals and watch portion size and I rarely eat out. Moving a bigger meal to your lunch, is better as it will burn more calories.  Avoid eating near bedtime.  Keep us posted and how you are doing. Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Fruit is still metabolized as sugar is in the body. If you want to lose weight, cut out all fruit except an orange or apple once or twice a day. Lean cuts of low fat protein and non starcy veggies. I just started 10Mg of Flux and I have dramatically stopped binging and pigging out....pretty miraculous considering I was on a weight gaining path of pigging out for the past few months having gained about 25lbs because I am a stress eater!! I will not increase the dose though, regardless of what my doc says since this dose takes the edge off of my anxiety and really helps with me not pigging out. If it stops working, I will stop the drug. I'm not increasing the dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.