Thyroid broken

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can someone give me their opinions on my thyroid test results ?

Tsh. 2.08

T4 total. 2.3. Low

T4 Free. .037 Low

T3,total.254. High

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, can you post the ranges that go with these results - all test labs differ.
  • Posted

Thanks so much....

T4 total = 2.3. Range = 4.5-12.5 ug/dL Low

T4 free. = 0.37. Range= 0.61-1.70 ng/dL. Low

T3 = 254. Range = 87 - 178 ng/DL High

Tsh = 2.08. Range 0.35-5.00 ulU/mL

• Posted

Thank you. There is somethng unusual going on here. I have never seen T3 high with T4 low and TSH in range. My thoughts are: (1) Thyroid usually produces T4 and some T3.

(2) T4 is converted into T3 in the thyroid and other organs.

(3) TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is produced by pituitary gland in response to low T4 level.

So to unpick this...(3) doesn't seem to be working properly - need to get this checked out. (Your T4 is low so your TSH should be high to get your thyroid to produce more T4).

Also something in your body is producing/causing you to have too much T3. Cysts on the thyroid I believe can do this - need to get this checked out too. Bottom line is I think there are at least a couple of things not working properly that need investigating promptly. Note I'm not medically qualified, this is just my understanding of it and may be wrong.

• Posted

I was complaining about a strange sensation in my throat and an ultrasound was ordered. One side of my thyroid was elongated so a CT scan was ordered. It came back normal. I also have Lyme disease and the bacteria can form clusters on glands y organs. After this last round of bloodwrk was ordered....doc just said to lower dosage.
    • Posted

Why would you lower dosage of T4 when T4 is already too low? Elongated thyroid and high T3 and low T4 and a doctor who said just reduce dose would prompt me to get a second opinion. Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Is your lymes disease being treated? Is it that the doctor thinks that once lymes disease is fixed your thyroid problem will go away?

• Posted

Lyme disease is chronic for me. I have good days and bad. Been on and off thyroid meds since the 80's. I was fine until Lyme doc advised gluten free diet with no sugar. Thyroid hell broke loose. Been to see an endo and she wants mevon T3 and T4. I had been on liothyronine for years. We tried nature thyroid and my eyelashes and brows fell out. I am so done with this !!

• Posted

I didn't get on with NatureThroid either. It made me swell up. Have you tried Westhroid-P, aka WP Throid? It has fewer (if any) fillers.

• Posted

No but I will make that suggestion. Doc wants me to lower liothyronine and add synthroid. I was taken off synthroid years ago due to extreme hip thinning. Doc at the time suspected synthroid.
    • Posted

What your doc is saying, makes sense. Liothyronine is T3 and your T3 is too high and needs reducing. My under as randing is that Synthroud is a brand of thyroxine i.e. T4 for which your levels are too low. Trouble is, NDT contains T3 & T4 and your blood test results suggest you really need to reduce the level of T3. From what I've read, bovine NDT has a lower T3 to T4 than porcine. So if you can get hold of it, Westhroid-B would be better. Not sure if they still make it. I think it's over-dosing on thyroid hormones that causes bone thinning. Do check if this is correct. If it is, it nay be as bad to have too muvh liothyronine as it is to have too much thyroxine. Ask your endo for her opinion. How much liothyronine are you on a day?

• Posted

According to my endo 10mcg a day is a normal dose. Do you split it 5mcg in the morning, 5mcg 6-8 hours later (but at least 8 hours before bedtime else you won't sleep). You can cut t ge tablet in half. I used to bite mine so I didn't lose any of the medication.

• Posted

When you say 'both tablets' which ones do you mean. You'll probably find you avoid the highs and lows of T3 if you split the T3 dose and take half in the morning and half 6-8 hours later.

• Posted

I take both 5mcg tablets in the a.m. on an empty stomach and wait one hour before eating.  I am on a regimen of prenatal vitamins, probiotics, and antibiotics daily along with heart meds. This is easiest for me and pharmacist told me it should be fine......I can take one at 8 am and another 5mcg dose at 3 pm if it will make a difference ???
    • Posted

I tended to think of my liothyronine as my 'go faster' pill. Because it is the usuable form of thyroid hormone it kicks in quickly. Liothyronine lasts about 6-8 hours, so if you took 5mcg in the morning and 5mcg at 3pm you might find you have a more stable energy level for longer. Everyone is different though so the only way to find out which you prefer, is to try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.