Thyroid Issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am struggling with a thyroid problem. I went to my doctor last week because I have had a high heart rate betweem 120-140 for months for and wanted to have it checked. My ecg was normal aside from tachycardia. The dr told me to take 81 mg aspirin daily until they find out what it is. The doctor's office also took some blood to run tests. The next day I got a call saying that a simple test they ran showed something with my thyroid being 0.005. I'm assuming that's my t4. (I've probably researched it way too much in the past week anf my mom has hyperthyroidism.) They told me that they were going to have the lab do more extensive tests. I received another phone call the following week confirming that I had abnormal test results. I have a followup next week to go over my labs. I don't even know what exactly is wrong. (Hypo or hyper?) Not having an appointment until next week is starting to stress me out. I guess my real question is how do you deal with something like this? I'm 28 and have never had any medical problems except for having my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was 20. I'm really struggling with this emotionally because everyone seems to think it is okay to to just go on medication but I don't. I know I have to suck it up but that's the struggle I'm having. I know about thyroid storm etc and it sounds horrible. I've also read that by taking anyithyroid medication that it can make you hypo. Is that true? Is that permanent? Will it eventually fix itself and go away or is it permanent? Any answers would be great. Thanks!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The count of thyroid being 0.005 does not facture in any TSH panal. It is not T3 or T4. T4 ranges is 4.4  to 8.8 if I am right. I am very familuar with T4 I once had 187.
  • Posted

Ok, so my clinic gives me access to my bloodwork and I found these updated results on the website. I just copied and pasted. These were the only abnormal results. Looking at the tpo I think there is a typo because it is showing way higher than the normal range so shouldn't it show as high?

Complete Blood Count

MCHC *31.6* g/dL Low 06/01/2016 33 - 37

Chemistry

Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) *6* mg/dL Normal 06/01/2016 7 - 25

Creatinine (Creat) *0.49* mg/dL Low 06/01/2016 0.57 - 1

Hormonal Assays

Thyroxin (T4) Free Direct, serum *3.58* ng/dL High 06/01/2016 0.82 - 1.77

Total Thyroxine (T4) *13.3* ug/dL High 06/01/2016 4.5 - 12

Triiodothyronine (T3) *3.8* ng/dL Low 06/01/2016 0.7 - 1.8

Miscellaneous

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) *371* ng/dL High 06/01/2016 0 - 34

• Posted

I meant to ask if the the t3 should be labeled high not low not the tpo.
    • Posted

Your blood test shows that you are hyperthyroid. The raised T3 level is very likely causing your elevated heart rate. T4, which is converted by your body to the active form of the thyroid hormone T3, is also raised.  

I highly doubt that the TPO level shown on your results is a typo. My guess is that is refers to the level of (anti) Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies. It is best to discuss the results with your GP or endocrinologist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.