Thyroid levels

Posted , 2 users are following.

just got my results back from gp,  T4 19.8 range12/22

TSH 21 range 27/42

i only take 75mg my gp wants to wait another 3 months to see if it levels out, I want to drop to 50 mg and see what happens.  

I have most of symptoms for being over medicated, has anyone else suffered this and what were your symptoms please. 

I have recently come of hrt,

any suggestions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have never seen such results nor ranges for these tests, but I suppose that means you are still considered hyperthyroid.  The same is true of your medication.  What kind are you taking?  I haven't seen numbers like those with the anti-thyroid drug I was on.  I was on 30 mg Methimazole (MMI) at the highest, and I think Carbimazole (CBZ) is similar.

When I was on about 5 or 10 mg MMI my T4 dropped into the normal range, and when I dropped from 10 mg daily to something like 65 mg per week (skipping one pill once a week) is when my TSH rose into the normal range.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply fern, I started hypothyroid 4 years ago when I starec with the menopause, not been well for years not really felt any better on medication, 

my heart races the sweating is unbearable hair loss acne loss of 2  stone, anxiety panic, fullness in throat and loss of voice, aching joints, always on the go, always on the toilet.

only taken 50 mg today see what happens.

i was really ill before Xmas was admitted to hospital with body spasms, sweating, tremors, could not eat or drink had trouble standing up, I was very scared I really thought I was going to die, the hospital could not find anything and blamed it on menopause, was sent home with morphine, still at a loss as to what happened, still having test, 

i take 75mg levothyroxine never had any of those that you mentioned.

😊

• Posted

I see.  Sorry I was confused, thinking you were hyperthyroid because the TSH you reported was below the normal range.  And I'm still a little confused because the TSH range is usually given as something like [0.4 - 4.0]. The T4 number seems more like Total T4 instead of Free T4.  It is the FT4, or more especially FT3, that is used by the body.  The thyroid hormones may be "bound" by Estrogen, so the HRT may have made a difference. 

The symptoms you have mentioned are more like hyper now instead of hypo, so, yes you are probably being over medicated with Levothyroxine (LT4).  The LT4 builds up somewhat slowly in the body and remains in the system for a longer period of time, so you may not notice a change very soon from decreasing the amount.

• Posted

Hi fern thanks for the reply, I have just read my post, no wonder you were confused sorry.

i have been menopause for 4 years now, no more monthlys, for about 16 months, I was put on hrt and thyroxine at the same time, I have read so much about hyper and hypo my brain is mush.

its been a bad day today, very anxious heart beating out of my chest, panic, no sleep last night with the sweating,

i have also been diagnosed with BPPV benign positional vertigo and very bad tinnitus

my gp does not test T3 or anything else for that matter just TSH and T4 I have only seen an endo once since being diagnosed, even though I have never felt any better on the  levothyroxine.

thanks for the advice, 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.