Thyroid Results.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am new to all this and was hoping someone could help. I had my bloods taken a few weeks ago and was told to have a re test in 3 months. I feel as if I've had symptoms of Hypo for several years.  Tiredness, depression, weight gain, skin peeling, brain fog, sinus pressure etc. 

This morning I saw my doctor because of this pressure/tightening pain in my throat. I feel as if someone has their hand wrapped around it and gently squeezing.

She then suggested I started on a low dose of Levothyroxine (25mg) I'm just a bit apprehensive about taking them.  As she said that taking this medication could cause it to go the other way, where I could experience palpitations etc.  (There is a lot of heart disease in my family)

My results are .... Thyroxine 12.4 which she said is normal ... Thyroid Stimulating Hormone is 5.43 and she also said my Thyroid Antibodies are normal.

Do you think these levels and my symptoms warrant this medication?

Any advice will be appreciated  Thank you.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi my levels were very similar and I was put on meds, helped somewhat with energy, but I'm still in bed for 9pm, and my brain fog is better but I still know I'm depressed. I am in middle of adjusting dosage but don't think I'd be as well if I hadn't started the Levo. I'd start it but be aware it will take about 6 weeks to see results. Hang in There.

• Posted

Hi Julie

Thank you for your reply.  How long have you been taking Levothyroxine and what dosage?

Cath smile

• Posted

Hi cath,

I've been hypo for 2 years now starting on 25mg and presently on 75mg. I do feel better for it but symptoms have appeared recently so am waiting on tsh and t4 results. I had issues with neck pain and a choking feeling so had a scan and found several nodules one of which is 1.5cm and am now waiting on a surgical referral. I would recommend the meds, I felt dreadful before, and although I still have issues at least I feel as if most days I cope.keep off soy and brasicas and take meds 4 hours apart from calcium and iron supplements for best uptake. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Julie

Thank you so much for the information. As I said in my post, all is new to me & so daunting ...

I hope all goes well for you.

Take care

Cath smile

• Posted

Hi There,

I was put on Levoxyl 75 mg.

Started May 10th . So it's been enough time to see results. I feel a lot better. My results were also normal. But I also had every symptom you mentioned. So glad I gave it a go. As I have two children to keep up with. I couldn't get off the sofa!

I asked my doctor why, she said its common that levels can come up normal but are always changing daily. And because my symptoms continued for so long ...she felt thyroid was the problem.

Good luck dear. I feel so much better. I take it at night, because of the wonderful advice I received on this great forum!

You all are wonderful!

Best of Luck

God Bless

Maggie. Xo

• Posted

Hi Maggie

Thank you for replying to my message. 

Good to hear your feeling so much better taking the medication.

You say you take Levoxyl, is there a difference between that and Levothyroxine? As 75mg seems high to start on.

Cath smile

• Posted

Hello Cath,

Yes it is the same.

I have an awesome Doctor here in the US. She is from Turkey. Very smart and caring.

I trust her 100%.

Although I thought 75 mg was high also to start out. But, I know and trust she knows what she is doing.

And I do feel so much better!

smile

Maggie xo

• Posted

Hi Maggie

Ah I didn't realise you were from the US. I'm from Wales in the UK.  Hence the different drug names.

Cath smile

• Posted

Yes, well they refer to both names here.

Have you ever heard of someone starting out with 75 mg?

Does it go by weight?

Because I am a bit overweight!

smile

Maggie

• Posted

Hi Maggie

It's probably to do with the blood results. My mother who is 85 years old was diagnosed Hypo this year too and she is now taking 100mg. They keep increasing her dosage. I would say she is more underweight.

Cath smile x

• Posted

Hello Welshcath:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

You  have many Symptoms of Hypo.   TSH is noramll 0.45 to 4.50 and it really should be above 1.0  and lower han 3.0 to feel good.

Taking the Levo 25mcg  starter dose will help you feel much better.  Levo must be taken on an empty stomach and you have to wait 1 hour before eating.  Food blocks LEVO.

If you take vitamins wait 4 hours after taking Levo so you don't have any competition in your gut or bowel for receptor sites.  The feeling you have around your throat is the thyroid swelling a bit and once you build a proper blood level in 6 to 12 weeks you will feel that subside.

Throid disease can hit at ages 20 to 45 and after periods of stress like pregnancy or from having a nasty Virus called Epstein-Barr.  It can also come from a family history of it and be passed on and even skip a generation.

If you are on high doses of Levo you could feel palpitations and also feel jttery.  Most people are on 75mcg to 150mcg.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Thank you so much for your reply and information.

I am 56 years old but if I think about it, I have not felt well since giving birth to my second child when I was 25. Low sex drive, very heavy painful periods, which I put up with for way too long.  I finally had a hysterectomy when I was 51.  Wish I had it done years earlier.

My mother has recently been diagnosed hypo this year too.  She is 85 years old. Plus her sister had a goitre removed when she was young. So it's in the family.  I also think my 32 year old daughter is showing symptoms.  She is always tired and feeling cold.

Cath smile

• Posted

Hello Welshcath

Please keep us posted on how you feel in 1 month.The doctor will adjust the LEVO as needed by the blood levels.

It seems it runs in your family as it does in mine.  Have your children  tested after having kids and to watch for the symptoms.

Feeling cold, brittlle nails and dry skin, period problems, weight gain, brain foggy, muscle aches, low energy, depressed feelings, tired all the time, low sex drive, low body temp and pulse. So if you see these  signs alert them to tested.

Keep in touch,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Thank you again for your reply. 

My daughter is due to have bloods done on 19th as it runs in the family and she has symptoms. So will soon see.

Cath smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.