thyroxine and dairy products

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I was wondering if any of you have experienced bloating of the abdomen since starting thyroxine? do any of you consume dairy products? Do any of you believe that there is a connection between the two?

sara

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi sara i've been diagnosed for just 18 months but unwell for sometime brfore that. I look like i'm 8 months pregnant! From the front I look fineas I'm tall and naturally thin (limbs etc) but my waistline is completely out of proportion to the rest of me, I going to try and do something about it over the next year, as i've stopped working for a while to try and get my health back. like most others who post here my life has been completely turned upside down with this condition.

jehanne

• Posted

Hi,

I get bloating constantly but had never linked it to dairy products as I don't really use too many, I had thought it was bread and changed to eating oat bread which lessened the bloating.

• Posted

Hello Zak,

My daughter has an allergy to the additives that are added to the thyroxine tablet and suffered with bloating and IBS when she took this form of thyroxine. She now takes additive free liquid thyroxine but had a real fight to get this prescribed on the NHS and finally got this when her TSH zoomed up to 100.

It is well known that some people do have an allergy to thyroxine but usually to the additives rather than to the thyroxine itself.

Also, my daughter is allergic to dairy foods and avoids them as they, also, upset her health. Likewise she cuts down on wheat as this also gives her tummy problems. Sorry to paint such a black picture, but maybe your GP could refer yo to an allergy clinic, so that you could determine exactly what is causing the bloating.Larks.

• Posted

Hi

I've had hypothyroid for about 4-5 years and I too suffer serious bloating problems and can look 6 months pregnant.. I hve stopped eating white bread and eat only wholemeal and found this did help. i also take a prebiotic drink and think this is helping aswell.. I have tried not eating products with wheat in and find that this helpsl, but I have not managed to maintain it for very long.

Wicki

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.