tight feeling in throat and jaw

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello i am a 20 year old , i have been having this very strange and scary sensation , my throat feels like it is closing and my end jaw bones feel tight and it forces me to suck in my cheeks and the inside of my cheeks end up between my teeth its hard to explain but i am deaperate for an answer.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety causes all sorts of muscle tightness,I have throat issues too
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with anxiety, social anxiety with panic disorder agorophobia and somatic sympton disorder but and then gerd, all of thia scares i have been to many people and its always the same answer.im scared
    • Posted

I'm.in the same boat, always the same answer and we never believe it. That's just the joy of anxiety I'm afraid
    • Posted

I generally think therapy is more effective tha meds. Typically anxiety exists for a reason, those reasons can't be resolved with meds. Meds are meant to be used short term while therapy helps you resolve the issues. People tend to use the meds hoping they will stop the anxiety, but they just can't do it,they aren't designed to.
    • Posted

Im at my third therapist and all she doesbis push me to try them,so i dont see any difference going to her.
    • Posted

Then you should report her and find a better therapist, no therapist should ever push meds
    • Posted

Like its my third therapist, and my previous 2 i left because theh made me feel uncomfortable with their suggestions, i feel that if i request to leave they will think im the problem.
  • Posted

Don't worry Kareen, I had the exactly same feeling for three months and its all from anxiety building up and acid reflux.

• Posted

Mine is caused from anxiety, how did your triggered?

And also i took proton pump for 30 days because i also had the throat burning sensation

• Posted

Im so confused by everything my body feels, i dont know what to think anymore, i thibk it happened after i had a panic attack its almost a year now since i firat noticed the reflux symptoms, i think i felt better after taking prevacid or zantac but i stopped taking it then when it returns i was put on prilosec which gave me horrible aide effectts im scared to even try them anymore.
  • Posted

Hello Kareen,

Though if you do have acid reflux it could account for the throat issue you have, I am also wondering if lockjaw/tetanus has been considered as a possible cause in your case?

Anxiety too, as jmcg states, can have such effects. Have you been advised about how you might help ease your gerd? I suffer from gastritis and can tell you the measures that help me be better than I used to be.

• Posted

Yes please, i had an endoscopy in may my gi said it was mild to stop eating "crap" i always have bad reactions to anti acid i just want a natural solution.
    • Posted

I just googled tetanus i wish i hadnt, should i go to thw hospital now to get checked for it?
    • Posted

Hi Kareen,

I know how awful it feels to have an illness you wish could just be gotten rid of quickly, but when it can't be you have to try not to worsen it through stress. So give things time for improvement and finding a daily diet that helps rather than worsens things.

Several small/medium meals per day (I have seven, one every two hours or so), rather than fewer bigger ones, so you don't overfill your stomach and aggravate the issues. Eat relaxed, chew well. Be sat upright for and after meals, not bent or reclining, so you don't squash your stomach and press its contents upwards.

You might find some foods are ok or bad with you compared to other people, so it's a matter of experimentation, but fried foods, high-fat foods, high-salt foods, tomatoes,carbonated drinks, caffeine, alcohol and chocolate are some of the main things that impact on stomach and reflux troubles. Spicy and hot foods can also hurt some people. Minty foods relax the lower eosophageal muscle which can let acid up easier, so they are bad. I use a fruity toothpaste.

Wholewheat bread, cereals, bananas, hardboiled eggs are a few of the foods that suit me, but there are pulses, rice, various beans (not kidney beans apparently) and many other things you can try. Chicken is one of the best meats to try due to its lower fat content, though even that can hit me and is not eaten lately.

Stress and excercise that pressure and squeeze the stomach are also to be avoided. Be as calm and stress-free as you can, though I know that can be hard with anxiety problems (social in my case).

Having your last meal a few hours before bed can prevent or lessen reflux at night, but I found that waiting to be too empty caused hunger discomfort and kept me awake. Because of this I lie-down about an hour and a half to two hours after last meal, and this is much better. I lie raised a bit on three pillows, on my right side, which is best for me, but not for everyone, with the left side usually being advised.

Another thing that helps me greatly is to not burp after ten minutes after eating, as this can bring acid up and cause heartburn.

I hope some of this might help with your trouble in time, but you can see what other sufferers find helpful as well. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Kareen,

I would think the discovery of your mild trouble with acid would account for your throat due to that, so beware of worrying yourself by Googling things. But there is no harm in you asking your doctor if tetanus could be a possibility, just to put it out of the picture and have your mind settled.

• Posted

I just texted her but she doesnt respond sometimes so i will be visiting her tomorrow instead of going to the emergency room
    • Posted

Good. Try to relax best you can. Stress and anxiety do worsen stomach and other troubles, and I can see you are very stressed. It is all understandible and you have to think of one step at a time. It's a journey to try to improve. Three years ago my gastritis started, and last year was the worst of my life through additional personal issues. So I know what it's like to feel under a mountain of difficulty. You're not alone. Hang in there. Breathe and try to sleep tonight!
    • Posted

You're welcome. I just wish I could wave a wand and sort your troubles out quick.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up