Tightness at 16 Weeks

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello All

I am 16 + 1 and my knee feels worse than ever in terms of tightness and pain when I bend (my bend was just over 110 three weeks ago).

My knee feels very rubber bandy and painful when I bend and there is terrible tightness at the back as well as the front of my knee and a constant tightness when just sitting. It is like

I am not taking any medication as I have no idea what to try now; my knee is still a little swollen and numb at the side.

My Consultant has said it is something to do with being a younger age (49)and my knee being in a rush to heal BUT REALLY??

Earlier this afternoon I did a few bends when I heard and felt a painful big crack in my knee :-0. This has made me feel very worried.

I last saw Consultant 4 weeks ago (next appt is 9th Feb) and don't want to be a pain to him but I am finding this extremely difficult to deal with especially (as discussed in a different thread ) I had to go back to work 5 weeks ago, etc.

Is anyone feeling the same at this stage? Is this just the healing process as I am starting to doubt it and am worried in particular at being stuck at 110 as using the stairs is painful and getting in and out of the car is difficult.

Thank you!

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey, your not on your own. I am aged 45 and 3months after right knee replacement. I take naproxen and still wake every night at 3am and take codeine. My knee clunks like mad, paranoid something is wrong but told not to worry.

My bend is pretty good, on a proper exercise bike now and that really helps. Just can't walk! Thigh is killing me.

Roll on the new year... fingers crossed Tracey things will improve

• Posted

Hi Tracey.  I am just about 19 wks and what you describe is how my knee has been for several weeks.  I was 54 last month and had waited for about 6 years for the op as the surgeon said I was too young!! The knee is still very swollen and the tightness gets me down.  I have no idea what my bend is as I have not had physio since the beginning of October as the physio said the bend would not improve all the while the swelling was there - not sure if that's right though.  Please don't be despondent.  I have been told by the surgeon time and again that this op takes a long time to heal and we should be looking at about 12 to 18 months.Apparently all this pain and tightness is quite normal - I know that doesn't help much but we just have to try to carry on.  I too have to go back in February and I'm hoping that at least the swelling is gone so that I can get a proper measure of the bend😊. Hang in there Tracey it WILL be worth it in the long run - I hope😉!!!
    • Posted

Thank you all for replying, Ladies!

I just feel reassurance is essential and I don't feel that some of the professionals we are involved with are particularly good at it!

Nikki did they say what the clunk is or why?

Ruby my bend was hardly anything for first seven weeks then it started to improve once swelling started to go but surely they should be looking at your knee if it is still so swollen? Maybe you could ask to see your Consultant sooner?

Am trying my best to be upbeat and hanging in there but . .

I find it quite difficult when people ask how you are doing and expect you to be jumping around! I just lie now and say I am fine as cannot be bothered to talk about it. Seriously you need to have been through this to understand!

I have also been told the 18 to two year Mark to feel more or less as normal as possible but that was After the op and not before which would have been useful.

I have a set of pedals under my desk Jean - can't get all way round because of the desk but can go up and down to keep it moving. I do the exercises too.

I guess we are all going through the normal healing process and it is just more time!

Here's to hanging on in there and better days :-) oh and sleeping through a whole night!

• Posted

My knee is still very swollen and bruised in just one place ...I saw my GP and all she says is ...it will go eventually ..15 weeks and still the same ...the only thing I'm pleased with is the neatness of the scar

and I was never told it was a long recovery   In fact all I was told is it can be painful ...that's an understatement

i had just 5 group  sessions of Physio and they discharged me with just over a 95 degree bend and said it would get better when the swelling goes down I can't wait for that day to come 

Jean 

• Posted

No, but I will feel better after my next xrays in Jan. It's supposedly very common but eventually you forget about it... I just fear the bloody thing will drop off... ha ha

like you I like the reassurance. :-)

• Posted

hi tracey ... so you are getting the gist that a lot of us on here are feeling the same or similarly to yourself. i agree, dreadful. i had decided to decrease my medication (i am still on tons) at the beginning of the week and this morning i could hardly walk to upped the ante! i have absolutely NO idea how you do it without. i would be lying on the floor, a sobbing wreck!

i don't like the sound of your knee making a cracking sound. are you sure you shouldn't go and show your surgeon? and at the same time get some pain relief? the clunking i can reassure you is perfectly normal. once the muscles around the the new joint have built up and support the joint, then there will be less clunking. strangely, i have no muscles but also no clunking. but again, the cracking? not good.

whether or not you have swelling, you get tons of physio here in switzerland as it is absolutely imperative to keep the knee moving. they simply adapt the exercises and their treatment to the swelling but to use it as an excuse NOT to do physio had me gasping aloud! poor, poor excuse and i would be happy to slap your pt around a bit for that.

for the prices of a set of pedals, i would consider a second set to have at home to do try and gently do a full rotation. i got a new machine yesterday that looks like a pedal machine but is just a pushing machine really. initially i had my doubts about it but once i had done my required 20 minutes, my legs were tingling and i could really feel how everything had been activated which is soooo important. so now i have 2 machines at home, completely filling my living room. and today as i said i could hardly work so tingling = yeah! not working = nay! but as you said, it is all part of the healing process.

hopefully today is a better day for you.

• Posted

no jean, my surgeon prescribed it for me. i know, we are so spoilt :-( it is called camoped and there are videos on youtube. unfortunately i cannot give you a link here as it would be blocked. but there are demos in english. i wasn't really impressed initially but after i had done my 20 minutes, i could really feel it working. and it felt good!
    • Posted

Hi Britta

i just looked at the camoped on you tube

the lady was sat on the floor     No way could I get down on the floor ....lol

actually I might get down but I would probably have to send for the Fire Service to get me back up 

I really hope it helps you though

how wonderful to be provided with it 

• Posted

Hi Britta

Thanks for info the in will have a look at the camoped but I have a bike at home?

What I am worried about is that perhaps they should have done the manipulation after all and I have heard about bone growing : -)

My imagination is running riot so time to take further action!

Am lying on my bed after getting in from work - stretching my knee on a pile of pillows whilst posting on the forum and drinking a nice glass of wine before making dinner!

Hope you all have a good evening:-)

• Posted

hi jean --- getting on the floor is for the advanced!  no no, i sit on the sofa and pedal away gently.  at the moment i am not really sure it is doing me any good.  it is causing me all kinds of pains, incl. pain behind my knee where i can literally feel some grinding going on.  my doctor waved me away, saying it was normal.  i am not sure i fully believe him.

all the other aches and pains could be coming from actually using my muscles actively again for the first time in months and months.  who knows!  will keep you posted.

• Posted

oh dear, tracey ... i am sorry to hear that you are imagining this even though you have 110 degree bend.  last time we measure my pt reackoned i was at 115 and that we would probably be able to get another 5 degrees out of it.  perhaps this will be the case of your too given more time?

i have actually been given some thought of changing my physiotherapist.  i used to go to one who was really excellent and they had a gym there.  i think i need to build up muscles with supervision.  anyway, christmas will give me time to think about it.

enjoy the holidays!

• Posted

Hi tracey

your post is just as if you are describing my knee I'm a lot older than you and retired 

but the tightness in the knee and pain is exactly the same as yours.

I'm 15 weeks post op tomorrow and I don't seem to be making much progress I've done all the exercises given to me and even bought myself a pedal exerciser.

i see my Surgeon on the 31st of this month and I can't wait to see if there's anything wrong with this knee.

like you I'm at a loss to know what else I can do.

you take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Tracey. My GP refered me back to the consultant about the swelling saying she thought I might need it drained as it is so swollen.  He just said "Well, didn't you expect any swelling? You have had major surgery".  Sarkey git!! I felt 2ft tall.  Hopefully he will be more understanding in February - although I doubt it.  Maybe he should go through this before he passes stupid comments. Xx
    • Posted

That's awful what your consultant said. I think it should be compulsory for them to have this op themselves.

at 5 weeks post op I rang my surgery for some painkillers as I'd run out one of the GPs rang me and said.  "You shouldn't be having any pain now"

reluctantly he eventually wrote me a prescription for the painkillers.

i feel unless they've had the Op they have no idea.

• Posted

Some of these consultants and other professionals truly need big fat slaps!

Poor you - what did he say about draining it though? I think you are quite a few weeks post op?

X

• Posted

Sorry it's taken so long to reply Tracey - ipad needed charging.  Anyway he said it was swollen due to op and not to worry, it would go down eventually.  Well I am 19 wks now and the right knee is still over 4inches bigger than the left😳.  I can bend it back further than when I last had physio but I'm going to ask if I can have more physio as although I exercise at home and work, I need to make sure I am doing things right.  Oh this TKR job is nothing but a big pain - literally lol! I have to see consultant who operated on me in February and boy is he going to get both barrels😃. Xx
    • Posted

I've said the same thing will happen when I see my Surgeon at the end of this month.  He will most definitely have earache when I reel off my list.

my knee is huge ...tight...and still very painful 14 weeks post op.

Xmas shopping has been a nightmare this Year although I have done quite a bit online...but it's a lottery whether it gets delivered in time for Xmas.

all I want for Xmas is a good nights sleep...

land that's my moan over ....biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.