Time for another THR

Posted , 10 users are following.

9 months PO from RTHR and now scheduled for 12/19 LTHR....sadsadsad

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

John, I'll probably be facing the same situation. Did you learn anything from the first surgery that will help you prepare and cope with the second one? How is your right hip feeling?

• Posted

Hi Anne, 

How are you doing, darling? I hope you recovery is going well -

Let us know, okay 

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Renee,

Thanks for asking. I'm at four weeks now and I'm walking pretty well. I do a half mile in my neighborhood. The hill on the way home is tiring, but I'm pressing on. I use a trekking pole for my walk outdoors but otherwise no assistance. My follow up appointment went well and x-rays looked good. I am very impatient with my recovery and annoyed that I have difficulty sitting down and getting back up! And that reaching to pick something up off the floor takes me forever! I start outpatient PT on Friday. And I'm back to driving again which feels wonderful! I was able to go to the hairdresser this morning. My non-operated hip which also needs surgery is acting up. I hoped that it would be more sympathetic at this stage, but obviously it doesn't care how I feel!

• Posted

Anne,

I did a lot of leg strengthening before my surgery which really helped with recovery.  Talk to a physical therapist they can direct you. 

• Posted

I probably doing the same thing also had RTHR in February now I will find out what we are going to do once I go back to doctor in October 23.  
  • Posted

Me too.  14 weeks post op RTHR.  On my last visit to the consultant he made an appointment for 12 months time, as post op x rays showed significant wear in the left hip - does everyone need both doing? 🙁🙁

Are you prepared better for it? Or is it worse as you know what is coming?

Good luck with it

Chris

• Posted

hi christine, 

eek to answer your question ... both --- you know what is in store for you, so that is good and then you know what is in store for you and you freak out for a moment - that is how it was for me -

Not sure if everybody needs the other hip to be replaced though ... to me it was a total shock - Xray showed at 6 weeks post-op that cartilage of other hip was gone which was not the case 6 month prior --- 

when I asked surgeon he told me that my hips are the same age --- oh well

How are you doing otherwise ?  

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Dear Renee,

Back at work 12 hour days, and on my feet for all of it!  I thought I was doing really well last week, back to Zumba and aquafit, plus dog walking.  Then on Monday - pain on walking, couldn't do hardly any Zumba moves, work was difficult 🙁.  On top of that I have ongoing arthritis problems in my right wrist and shoulder, from a break 2 years ago, for which I am about to have x rays.   

Yesterday I had a resting, sitting day and generally feel a lot better today.  After reading other people's experiences I implemented there advice!!

Thank you for asking

Chris

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I think I will be better prepared since I know what to expect.  Although my first one went really well and my recovery was very easy.  I went back to work 14 days after surgery and I expect the same this time.

• Posted

Hi John, 

That is exciting !!!!  I went back and read your previous post - apparently your recovery went extremely well .. playing hockey ?  wow !   

Are you in pain right now?  

Please let us know how you are getting on otherwise okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

I'm doing really well with my new hip, my recovery was great.  I am expecting the same results and recovery with my next one.  Just sad knowing I have to go thru another surgery.  I have been playing hockey all summer long but I have since stopped in order to start prepare for surgery.  I will spend the next few months doing exercises like I did before my first surgery.  I really think that is what helped my first time around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.