Time for Mirtazapine to kick in.

Posted , 11 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Just started taking Mirtazapine 15mg last night. How long does it take to work ? I've heard it's quite fast compared to other meds. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Jimmy, mirtazapine starts working the fastest of any antidepressant that I have ever tried. I could tell the difference the first night, as I slept well. My only problem was trying to get off the medicine when I no longer needed it. But you don't need to be concerned about that if you are just starting the medication, you just need the benefit. Personal advice; I was on 45 mg for years, and would advise anyone to try to take the lowest dose that will give the therapeudic effect that you want. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi David

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what other AD have you been on, are they all not difficult to come off? 

Thanks

Gavin

• Posted

I'm with you David, I was on 45mg for 4yrs. I'm still Haveing problems tapering off them, but not everyone's the same. Good Luck Jimmy.
    • Posted

Wizard, I don't mind anyone asking about anything that I feel I can help with. This was all yeasr ago, except the mirtazapine. I have tried Zoloft, Effexor, Buspar, and one other that I can't remember. And no, those were just a matter of stopping them, but, they obviously weren't effective otherwise I would have never heard of mirtazapine. I started out on the Soltabs that dissolve on your toungue, but they didn't do the job. I was taking the as part of IBS treatmet, which at times is almost unbearable. 
    • Posted

Hi,David are you actually off the Mirttazapine now. Also if you were given you for IBS originaly, has it caused the pain to be worse as you came down off them. If so how are you handling that.  That's the reason I was given them for chronic IBS. I'm down to 15mg but the pain in my tum is quite severe.    Sorry to be a bit late in posting but I got distracted. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Norma, that is the reason that I had to go back on them, that and the fact that I didn't get a decent nights sleep for the two weeks that I was withdrawing. I am only taking 7.5 mgs, breaking the scored 15's. It is doing the job, but I feel much better during the day, and don't wake up with a hangover like I did with the 45's. But yes, that was the worse part of the withdrawing. I failed to say that I am on 4 mgs of lorazepam per day. I take one with meals and at bedtime. I feel that it is helping with the spasms, and the pain. I have been on the for so long that they don't make me drowsy anymore. I also take Protonix at bedtime to keep down the acid while I sleep. That is pretty much my formula for dealing with IBS (actually Splenic Flexure Syndrome). I hope that this has been helpful. I wish you well, and a Merry Christmas. I should have said this first; I have devotional time every day and have faith that God won't let things get out of hand. The Bible says that Jesus said that if you ask for His help, you won't be given more than you can handle. Faith is tough some times. I don't know if is allowed to mention religion on this forum, and if it is, I guess it will be deleted by one of the moderators will delete it, and I will have to stand in the corner. Take Care.
  • Posted

I was only on it for 8 weeks and like David I slept the first night. My mood had improved quite significantly but unfortunately I suffered with swelling particularly to feet and legs and I also suffered with a lot of muscle ache and for that reason my Gp has changed them. I had no problem coming off mirtazapine but my mood has now deteriorated and I am now not sleeping very well. I have spoken briefly to my Gp who has increased my current antidepressant but I am going to see him in about 3-3 weeks to discuss things. Hope you start to improve quickly just getting a good night sleep was a releif for me.
  • Posted

thanks for the discussion.  I was put on Mirtazapine as rocket fuel, to help me, I was suffering terribly the withdrawal effects of Effexor (that is the worst drug)...along with zoloft, and seroquol and and and......   start taking these things, and life just eventually gets worse and worse...   So I agree, it should have a pretty quick effect.  I stopped taking it, when I didn't need the rocket fuel anymore, but I was on enough other drugs by then, was OK.  Have now managed to cut down everything, only taking seroquol 50mg at night, so I can survive, and eventually heal.  I think it may take four years to recover.  18 years on and off these drugs, does much damage.  Wish my doc had suggested cutting to lowest dose, I needed.  But psychiatry doesn't work like that.  The drugs have to knock off your usual serotonin system, then replace it.  that takes weeks, if not more.  So going off them, is a very long process, as your normal brain has to recover.   I know my symptoms are not real anxiety or real depression.  I just have to cope while I feel awful, take time off work, treat myself kindly, which is something I never learnt to do before.  But now it is a necessity.

• Posted

I am using tapping, you can look it up on google it's a form of acupressure points you can heal yourself, I decided to have a go at using tapping and it has been my saviour, it helps with stress, anxiety, pain ..... Also I was told to write everything down, be honest with myself, put myself first for a change ....  Hope this has been of help to you.
  • Posted

its quite quick but you will have some disturbing dreams but they pass so stick with it best anti depressant out there.
  • Posted

Hi Jimmy,

Not sure what to say about 'Mirtz' as depression is different in everyone. I found @ 15mg, it is a good sedative but did not reduce depression, 30mg less sedative (I believe there are some studies supporting this - and imho almost seems a different drug!) but calmed the nerves, found 45mg just odd! 45mg initially stops the crash into psychosis/schiz but only delays not fixed in my case.  Personally, I would stick with 15mg to see if 'fixes' your depression in 4 weeks or so, if not I would 'switch' to another anti-depressant, to see if works better for you. However, I believe Mirtz is a 'good' drug overall...although can make you ravenous for carbs!

Good luck

Stephen

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up