Time to talk adverts

Posted , 5 users are following.

I find it ridiculous how they think that they can make people care and understand. If people don't understand you can't educate them, anyone who is suffering does not need patronising do gooders, only decent people. Not all people with depression have caused it their selves, they don't sit around doing nothing, only a small percentage of people have any idea.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I agree there is such a stigma against mental illness not enough funding and poor education. I went to the Tesco pharmacy to get my meds as a one off and the pharmacist tried to discuss my problems Infront of everyone! She said to me 'if you need to talk come back I've done a lot of research on anxiety and depression and I like to think it's my expert field. I'm not a case study it angered me. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Lor, sorry late reply, that must have been really upsetting being treated like that. Society has got weird hasn't it, some people get confident at others expense. Take care xx
  • Posted

Unfortunately you cannot educate people in general and neither can they be expected to understand something they have not experienced. There is nothing to see! Even many in the medical profession do not understand. Advertising of all sorts is something we have to live with; but we do not have to pay attention to it.

Many people do their best to empathise with anyone suffering mental health problems; that is a human response, one which we should not rebuff even though at times it is very clear that the empathiser has no idea about the problem. Yes, we can try to help others to understand but we cannot expect them to really understand unless they also suffer at some time.

There is a similar problem regarding autism (something I happen to know a lot about). This is a condition that in most cases goes against our normal reasoning.  Other people try to reason through it and fail because the condition is so very difficult to understand. My belief is that unless one lives close to a person with such a condition, every day, then it is almost impossible to understand it. This is another example where empathy, however well intentioned, can fail to help.

• Posted

Yes I agree to some of what you're saying. You can't see mental health issues and the phrase "yes I know what you mean, and know where you're coming from" drives me mad. How can people know what you're going through when they've not experienced depression/anxiety themselves. There is such a stigma attached to mental health problems and people don't know what to say. They say nothing, they put it away and brush it under the carpet in the hope that it'll go away, like something nasty. There needs to be a lot more done to try and get rid of this stigma
  • Posted

Yeah, people who don't have depression don't understand what you are going through; and it's not their fault.  They don't know what to say, so it may come off as patronizing to us.  I try not to talk about my depression to regular people because it puts them in an awkward state of "trying to make me feel better" and it doesn't work anyways.  I only talk to people who love me (even if they don't understand, they are sympathetic), therapists or these forums. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.