Tinea Versicolor white patches not going away??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys!

Im hoping to find some help here since I have no clue whats happening with me.

This winter I noticed many white spots that also form larger patches on my upper back and shoulders. Not inchy or rash like, just flat, more like loss of pigment. I was 100 % this was Tinea Versicolor and was prescribed with Sporanox 1x pill a day for 7 days. Thought that would take care of it. BUT - the spots remained. Its been 2 months now and spots are still there. Not expanding, just there. They are not 100 % white either.

Went to a doctor because I got scared it would be Vitiligo. The doctor couldn't say for sure so she ordered biopsy. Biopsy results indicated low level of melanin, but not full absence of it, therefore the doctor still couldn't say for sure if its vitiligo or post treatment hypopigmentation of tinea versicolor. Its winter here so I haven't tanned.. doctor says I just have to wait and see what happenes. According to biopsy there is no fungus on my skin any longer.

Its driving me NUTS when I don't know whats wrong with me. The symptoms are also very unusual vitiligo since they patches literally appeared overnight ( I was evenly tanned just last summer), Im +40 years old and I don't have patches anywhere else than upper back.

So, I just wanted to know there there is anyone else here who would have struggled to get rid of hypopigmentation after tinea versicolor is gone? How long did it take? Im still hoping its not vitiligo..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had my breakout over a year ago, it was horrible, all over my body. I have several white spots mainly on my chest and shoulders, but a few quite noticeable ones on my thigh, I am part Indian and naturally dark complected, but last summer I was deeply tanned and could barely see the discoloration, but my chest started getting red and so did the spots, they are white again and i have tried a tanning bed to see if it will make a difference, I have only been twice and they seem lighter but still visible. I am very self conscious about this as I have always had a very nice complection. I will be 58 in June and hope to find a remedy. Thank God for no more major episodes, but I check my skin daily and panic over every unusual spot. I actually took a picture of the few on my upper thigh but don't know how to post on here. I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying about this problem. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Miranda,

I was hoping to get some feedback or advice on you to date.

I also have Tinea Versicolor 31 years old. I have had it off and on for the past 5 year. My skin when tanned always turned out well with no discoloration.

Recently I had a bad bout of it and I went to the doctor, who then prescribed me an anti fungal pill for 10 days. After the 10 days I had white spots all over my upper chest arms and back!  Its horrible and it seems at though the pigment is completely gone from the skin. I should have never taken those stupid pills.

Have you had any luck as of yet with your spots?

• Posted

Hi Miranda,

I think i am in the same situation as yours. My doctor prescribed me anti fungal soap and lotion but i don't think the white patches are going away and, in fact, i notice that the other areas of my face are having white patches also. May i know what happened to your skin right now? Does it go away? Is it treatable? I'm so frustrated right now cos i am thinking if i have vitiligo. I hope to hear from you soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.