Tingling in foot & leg after TKR

Posted , 24 users are following.

i'm struggling today - I'm putting my foot up to elevate it and am getting tingling - not quite pins & needles - in my foot and leg which can be quite uncomfortable, almost painful.  I've tried sitting in different chairs and on the bed and trying different cushions but to no avail.  Any suggestions or advice please.  I'm 8 days post TKR and it has been happening now and again but been almost continuous from middle of the night.  I am very aware of blood clots etc so keep getting up once an hour and also keep wiggling feet regularly for circulation and am on the tablets from the hospital.

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Its OK its nerves joining and feels like little electric shocks. Im still getting them around the patella after nearly 8 months. Its one of those things they dont tell you
    • Posted

i had my RTKR done in October 2016 never had this problem at all but i have had my LTKR done in March 2017 woke up following day after surgery felt like i had boot on foot since then it has gone down lot's i am now 13 weeks since surgery and i have numbness in heel, and under big toe and i have tingling feeling too sometimes electric spasms ... i was told by my O.S that it can last few months up to year... up to couple of weeks back i couldn't stand anything on it or wear shoes ... but i have now notice i can wear shoes specially homey ped types... i am sitting here now at desk and i have my slippers on i feel numbness but as i said not as bad as before... i saw my O.S in April and he told me then if i have any queries in few months come back and he will see me ... i thought i would wait till September it will be six months then since surgery that way can tell him about foot ... hopefully by then it is gone... reading some of the questions here and seeing there is others in same boat they have reassured me there is hope and it will go .... eventually ... funny how second time around i got it first time i didn't?   i understand people saying about socks i have wollen slippers and i find can leave right one on but my left one i have to take off just annoys it.... my husband did the finger scatch down my foot and i can feel it ... and i also found my bottom of foot was getting itchy that is always good sign too ... so it will take time ... 

• Posted

I had a very restless night last Thursday i could not settle heavy ache from top of leg to toe, no matter what position I tried it was there but unbelieveable the next day it had gone,  not pins and needles though  every day is different,  I had bad week felt really unwell I felt it set me back,  I am three weeks  from op date tomorrow and off for my first physio session, I'll get back to you after that,  jackie 
  • Posted

Hi anno and jackie

i have experienced the little electric shock feelings already, but this is more constant when my leg is elevated, so difficult to explain - like a constant ache with a feeling on top that pins and needles are going to start (though they never do) or it's going to go numb (but doesn't do that either!)  The obvious would be sit with my foot down, but that's no good either!

hope your physio goes well Jackie - what is your bend and straightness like?  Mines not great!

• Posted

i injured my knee yesterday and feel like i’m set back another 2 days, knee is aching today, a 10 in pain. I can only bend my knee 50% or less. I’m on my 5th week, When should i start worrying about getting a peg leg? i dont even like the word but is what my physican said will happen if I don’t start PT and I have been trying real hard and everyday it is something wrong with my knee 

any advice will help, and I did read Carlos advise, i wish i had his strength 

.......*Hopeless in Alaska 

• Posted

Don’t wait get to PT.  I only went a few weeks until I got the exercises down.  Your knee is going to hurt no matter what . Take pain meds before you go so you can do the exercises.  I am 70 and I am at 7 weeks.  I have been doing exercises on my own and it still now yesterday I had a setback but much better today.  These doctors do not prepare us for this!  I was told that my knee may swell and hurt up to a year.  But I can tell you I have had some good days and I now can go up and down steps easily.  But this has been after PT, cryotherapy, chiropractor, back pain shots and massage.  I have taken no pain meds as I am allergic to them so that has been extremely difficult.  I think it is going to take me at least two more months to be better.  Finally not as fatigued due to doing the exercises twice a day.  Using lots of ice and heating pads.  Google exercises to do after  TKR surgery and they will pop up on Utube.  That’s were I got my exercises from.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

Hi I haven't any idea about figures for me not been given any,  think I will find out tomorrow hope it's,not toobad. I can straighten no bother but bending an issue it was first time around,  I can go backwards on my exercises bike only just and slowly, but not forwards, I can just from today go upstairs properly,and leg almost normal . Is this good form here weeks? I have no idea. Very stiff at been though so long way to go,  I can walk without assistance but that too is slow,pace only 
  • Posted

Yes susan I got this. Don't worry it will settle down.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

so what is it you have numbness of foot , tingling ... that is what i have ... i am now 13 weeks since i had my left knee done... i never had this first time round with my right knee all good there it is seven months on with that and all good.. my left one was done in March 2017 day after i felt like i had boot on .. since then it has come down lot's i have some tingling which is good sign what i hear and i have had electric spasms to when my foot will kick out again i hear that is all good too ... meaning feeling is coming back ... i was told my my O.S that it will take few months to a year before it all heals(nerves) i hope so i couldn't live like this........but other then that knee's are great , walking better and can do stairs all things i couldn't do before...

• Posted

Well at least I'm not the only one - I'm going mad here at the moment, enough to turn the tears on sad   I just don't know where to put myself.
  • Posted

Hi susan

i found my leg and foot had a feeling of prickly heat when I had it up high on a pillow which is what they advise, but I was much more comfortable with my leg level and my body flat and even putting ice as well on my ankle.

its very difficult to get comfortable and you will constantly be moving your leg either with ankle pumps or side slides or up and down off the bed, you are early days and following the path we have all been on,  have a cry, feel sorry for yourself, but don't despair, it will change!

sue x 

• Posted

Normal, normal, and normal. U will have all kids of sensations. That is especially Tri the first 2 weeks. I am 13 weeks bilateral post op. I was playing golf, riding a bike, and more. Then, I pulled a hip muscle. 

my theory is that being 1 25 inches taller is the problem.smile I have been stretching all muscles except hip.

• Posted

I had this at your stage like mini electric shocks,nurse told me it was just nerves healing, it did pass very quickly,best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.