Tinnitus/ototoxicity?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on here before trying to find out what is wrong with me and am still searching after about a year. My tinnitus gradually crept up on me, thought it was normal at first but later realised it wasn't. I get migraine headaches and dizziness. More recently I've had a really bad head cold so I've been taking extra aspirin, paracetamol together with my regular citalopram and bendroflumethiazide. I've noticed the tinnitus gets louder after taking each of these meds and the dizziness is worse. I have suffered migraines for 30 years and have always taken aspirin and paracetamol. I am beginning to wonder whether I have poisoned ears (ototoxicity) caused by these meds over a long period of time. Blood works, heart test all Ok, waiting for an ENT appointment, taking forever. I also have neck arthritis. Can anyone help with this, I need the pain killers, don't know what to do. The dizziness (not room spinning), is the worse.

Many thanks

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please try lemon essential oil for pain in neck. Rub it on diluting with a carrier oil. It helps tremendously. I too have neck arthritis and tinnitis as well. Still haven't found help for the T. I do find that sugar makes it worse..hope that can help ya..Researched it

• Posted

Thanks for replying Terrie, I've not heard of that before, will definitely give it a try.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Hi Jayn,

​Regrettably all I can offer is sympathy. My tinnitus started after I had my ears syringed about two weeks ago. I am visiting an osteopath tomorrow to have my upper shoulders and neck manipulated as they are both very stiff. My logic is that the tension maybe making the tinnitus worse. If the results are positive I will post them. I find taking paracetamol helps to reduce the noise and mine is a little better, I am hoping it improves as I go along.

cheers

G

• Posted

Hi glamour,

Thanks for replying. That's really bad luck how your tinnitus started, hopefully it's not permanent. Perhaps there is a link with tinnitus and neck and shoulder problems, I have all of these too. I was having physiotherapy but had to stop because the neck exercises made me dizzy, no manipulation though. Good luck with the osteopath tomorrow, I'd like to hear how it went.

Regards

• Posted

I too have neck and shoulder issues as well. Arteritis in neck, muscle bulge in left side neck. Tinnitis worse when I eat sugar..but I too have been noticing when I stretch in early morning it gives me like waves of dizziness..nothing severe, just like woozy headed..oh how I pray for a cure for all this..
    • Posted

Hi Terrie,

Sounds just like me. Arthritis seems to be the key issue in this. I have read that some people with neck arthritis get cervicogenic headaches, dizziness and tinnitus. For me I can control the pain and learn to live with tinnitus, it's the whoozy head feelings that knock me. Like you I just want my life back. Maybe when I eventually get my ENT appointment I'll get some answers. I'm with you in your prayers.

Take care

• Posted

Awoke this morning and tried to get up and the whole room.spinning and tilting. Felt like my body was sideways. I called my husband to come home, he got me water..I drank it thinking dehydration, which does play a role in dizziness. I threw it ip..sick to my stomach as well. Lying on sofa about afraid to move. Whn getting up to go to restroom, it feels like I have no balance at all and everything is spinning. Last hour I did get up and not quite as bad. Now wondering if iv got a Lil bug or if this is all connected. Lord I pray this goes away soon..
    • Posted

Hi Terrie,

So sorry you've had a bad day. Have you had your tinnitus checked out by your doctor or ENT. So many of these ear related problems,which I am sure you have researched, have similar symptoms all of which you describe. Why not go back to your doctor and tell him what happened today, supposing this is the first time you have experienced vertigo, just for peace of mind. Worrying will only make matters worse but I'm sure you know that. Perhaps it is a bug, ear infection or as you say dehydration, for all that you can get treatment. Your neck arthritis could also be causing cervical vertigo . I do sympathize with you, it's horrible feeling this way, it's debilitating and distressing.

I too had a bad day today coincidently. I woke up feeling very heavy and muzzy headed and spent most of the day in bed. Last night I felt ok and had plans for today (silly me). I think I have been taking too many aspirin and paracetamol. I've had a bad head cold for over a week.

I wish I had all the answers for you or could wave a magic wand or something. Just be reassured that you are not alone, we are all here searching for answers. I hope you have a good nights rest and a better day tomorrow.

Take care

Jayne?

• Posted

Thank you soooo much for your kind words. I too hate you suffer as well, yet it does feel good knowing others u serstand. I did just have appt with ent last week. I didn't go 2 work again today cuz when I got up I still felt like I was tilting. But feel much better now. I do plan after Christmas for my dr to check me for menieres. I read where tinnitis with dizziness is this disease..hope not but better safe. Also I want thm to ck me for occipital neuralgia..just 2 be safe..so many horror stories online, yet sometimes when we go ovr and ovr with no answers, maybe we should make a list of things to ck. Sad but that's what it takes sometimes..take care and again thank you for your sweet words..

• Posted

Hi Terrie,

So glad you are feeling better, I had a good day today too. That is the thing with this weird thing that's going on, good and bad days. The trouble is you can't plan ahead. It's good that you are having follow ups with your doctor though.

Ah well, upwards and onwards, so they say.

Take care

?

• Posted

Hi Jayn,

?The osteopath made very little difference. I have been examined by a doctor and it appears i now have  a perforation in my left ear and a "possible" perforation in my right ear. I did think the syringing treatment was over aggressive. I am now having antibiotics in my left ear twice a day and I am hoping that will save the day .I will keep you posted.

Cheers

?G

• Posted

Hi Glamour,

So it was as you suspected all along. I hope the antibiotics treatment works for you. I'm still in the same boat, ENT appointment next month.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you,

All the best,

J

• Posted

I had the same thing over the last three months its felt like my head has been on sideways, I also had earache I got some drops for ir but ir only helped numb them a little, mine caame on after a series of injuries someone twisted my neck trying to break it, then I got our in a choke hold which made a terrible crunch sound and hard someone break my nose all in about two weeks. The tinitus came on several months later but im sure its related to my neck injury, what I do is focus on rfhe noise on one side and find the preside point on the other when you find it the noise will dim or cancel out, then I push with all my strength into the direction of the noise while pulling on thes pressure if you do it right it'll make a crunch noise and I basicly had go keep doing this until idbeebuild an even preside in my head. Beesides that morphine or any opiate derivative seems to alieviate the presuee and pain at least for a few hours, I've got my bilateral timitus down to one ear now and very quiet . Its getting better everyday even though its frustrating and times consuming id say it was dedinerwly worth the three month of practicing movine differed. Muscles in my head and neck and at this point its managable without painkillers but I literally spent wveryday drawing diagrams of what I felt the noose was telling me so I could visualize it better also it was hard to think or even look at anything for more than a second so drawing out my loan helped me keep focused on fixing it.

I wish I could show my drawings and explain more but it did work and it was worth following the noose instructions with my muscles.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for replying. Reading your story is like something out of a horror movie, how awful for you having gone through all of that. It seems likely that your injuries could very well be the cause of your ear problems. On a positive note you are experiencing some improvement so you must be doing the right thing. I wish you all the best.

Regards

• Posted

I got it to stop, I went to an ostreopath which really helped one more day of clicking then my jaw popped the noise has been gone for two days my neck feels horrible but I feel less like a walking zombie. hope that helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.