Tips for concentration?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey! Im a 20 year old student and I have an exam in the morning, ive had other exams this year and struggled quite a bit. Being in enviornments where I can't leave is a massive deal for me for some reason and it triggers all my anxiety things. I usually calm down after a while but I lose valuable time that I could be writing. Any tips for calming yourself down quickly? I try to concentrate on my breath but it is difficult when you feel very nauseous. Cheers

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi jamie, cant think of anything but talking about it will help. You recognise anxiety for what it is. You're halfway there. Good luck, try to ignore it, you know it will pass.good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jamie,

I have the same problem as yourself and I also have an exam tomorrow! Can you start jotting down things as soon as you get in there? Just an outline even so that you'll know where to go when the official exam starts. It's not cheating since it stills come out of your head and means you have a little time to panic before starting the real thing. 

Can you get a seat right by the door? You CAN always leave if you need to. Don't ever worry about that. 

If you have any more years in education left, try and get yourself into the support services in your school/college/uni. This is what I did and they provide a separate room for people with anxiety or any mental health problems. You also get more time this way, about 10 mins per hour so a 3 hour exam becomes a 3 hr 30 mins exam. 

Good luck tomorrow and remember you CAN LEAVE. No one can physically 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the advice. I use the uni fascilities and have been having some CBT with them, although they havent offered me a seperate room I am in a smaller room with people who have dyslexia. Its odd really as they must question why I am there as I am the only one who doesnt get any extra time. Unforutunatly I dont pick where I sit, fingers crossed it will be ok.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I guess I typed too much! Anyway you can leave, no one is going to sit on you to stop you from leaving. And try not to worry what people will think if you do have to leave. smile
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up