tips for dealing arthritis in cold weather

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am wondering does anyone have any tips for dealing with arthritis in cold weather?  I am having trouble with joint pain and stiffness in my right knee in this cold weather even though I wear many layers.  I have an outdoor job which is getting a bit challenging now that winter is settling in.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I suggest wearing a good quality knee brace e.g. Vulcan- one with a knee hole.  This will give support and warmth.  I wore one (eventually 2) for 5 years before my half knee replacement and couldn't bear to be without it. Even went to bed wearing it one night by mistake!!!In reverse they can get rather hot & sweaty in summer but are washable. They come in different sizes and if borderline  opt for the larger one as they can be too tight and difficult to get on.

• Posted

P.S. to my comment on knee braces . If you have ones with a knee hole insert your fingers in it when pulling them on. This will extend the lifespan of the stictching which can otherwise split open but I am talking about after ayear or so. You might try asking for them on NHS.
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth!

I find that standing and sitting are the hardest. Keeping moving helps a lot. My replaced knees get cold in air conditioning, too, so I put an afghan over them when I'm a passenger in the car or my coat on them in the theatre.

How about the silk long underwear? That helps me as I shovel the driveway!????

• Posted

What about woolly long johns, lots of outside workers used to wear them. I bet you can still buy them from army or camping stores. Silk inner gloves are supposed to help too. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.