Tips for tapering off Lexapro?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been on antidepressants for 2-3 years and I find that they're no help at all and I just don't want to be on it anymore. I was on Sertraline then got switched to Lexapro and I find no relief at all. I also am baseline highly anxious, but these meds don't seem to help that either. However, I find ways to keep depression and anxiety from ruining my life through distraction and forcing myself to think happy thoughts, by thinking it could be worse, or having low expectations overall, so I don't get super disappointed if things don't go my way. Those might not be the healthiest ways, but it works. I still do have my off-days of crying and hating myself, which is not too many fortunately. I don't remember how I was without antidepressants, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't be much of a change anyway.

Other times, I do find myself taking unprescribed 5mg Adderall to help with school work (still a student) and I actually feel very good on it. I feel happy, productive, and pretty much invincible. I don't have any bad side effects from it aside from thirst, which is normal, but of course I can't get a legal script since my PCP doesn't think I have ADHD.

Long story short, I can't get an appointment to see my PCP any time soon because of my busy school + clinical schedule and her lack of availability so I was thinking of tapering off Lexapro on my own. Any tips for this? Is down 5mg each week feasible?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.