Tips of how to get nutrition in to me - can't eat for the past 2 weeks.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Moaney86 raised another question for me on another thread. I've no appetite and can't eat and have been like this for the past 2 weeks. Moaney was taking slimming world shakes which is a really useful tip but i'm wondering if anyone has more suggestions. Think this info might be helpful to othera as well.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have really small meals. Another thing to try is the drinks that are for elderly people when they're not eating well - they're called Ensure in the UK. They're full of nutrition. Soup is also good - put it in a mug, pop a slice of bread in and it makes a nice meal.

But if you don't want to buy special drinks then just have a very small meal - side plate size, or pudding size. Think small child .....

Hope that helps xx

• Posted

That means cut the bread up in the soup - don't put a whole slice in haha 😄

• Posted

I've already ordered Ensure drinks. Should be coming on Monday. I like the soup and bread idea as well. Thanks

• Posted

Hope the drinks came and the soup / bread is helping. How's it going?

• Posted

They did thanks Katecogs. I'm finding the drinks a bit sickly but taking very small sips. Not had soup yet but last night I ordered a small pizza and ate half of it!!! Will try the second half today and hopefully will try some soup. Thanks for keeping me in mind.

• Posted

Glad you can take small sips, at least its giving you nutrition despite the yucky taste. Yay to pizza!!! Small portions of anything is good, just think small child size all the time.

K xx

• Posted

Ron,

I have been exactly where you are, I actually had to get on clexa in the first place because I stopped eating. I wanted to try and manage it by myself before I went on medication, so I barely ate for my whole second semester of college. I managed by drinking V8s and having a protein bar everyday, I drank lots of water and got on a daily vitamin. On especially bad days I took a ginger tablet. This is not a long term solution, though. I still lost a lot of weight and felt terrible a lot of the time. It really helps to take care of yourself mentally; the mind and stomach are more connected than you'd think!

Jillian

• Posted

Over the years I've had lots of trouble with my stomach and until now I've never really taken on board just how much my anxiety has contributed to it. You've helped me to make that connection. Thanks

• Posted

I especially can't eat in the morning but know that if I don't it puts me in a bad cycle that anxiety loves. So I force a few almonds and handful of blueberries for protein, fat and fiber. Later I try a banana with peanut butter. I go to the grocery store and buy a breakfast sandwhich on a day I THINK i can try to eat or a premade sandwich for lunch to have on hand at work which will usually last 2 days. If I'm home I can heat up a lean cuisine. I have no desire to cook or make a mess to clean up. I"ll make something easy for my son and my husband is in his own. Luckily I go to my moms for dinner 2x per week. When my stomach is upset, dairy bothers me otherwise I would have yogurt or cereal. It's been 6 weeks now and my appetite is coming back in the afternoon and my evening craving for sweets so I know I'm getting better. But mornings are still horrible and I have to force myself to get out of bed.

• Posted

something like 85% of seretonin is made in the gut... so yes, the brain/gut connection is huge. Many supplements, vitamins and herbs can really help as well as getting your gut microbiome in check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.