tips on coping with gallstones please :)

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with gallstones following six months of painful attacks after giving birth to my son in October. I eat a very low fat diet and take tramadol, paracetamol and buscopan for attacks (doesn't always work though!) I have called for ambulances three times when the pain has got too much sad I also drink flaxseed tea daily. I have lost 6 stone since giving birth which is great but would rather be fat and not in pain!! I'm constantly scared of having an attack when I'm at home with my son and consequently am not eating a great deal while hubby is at work, hence the massive weight loss! I'm on the waiting list for surgery, however if anyone has any tips on how I can reduce the amount or severity of these attacks then that would be great smile it literally has taken over my life and sick of living in fear of the pain!! Also I'm concerned that surgery may not work and that the problem might come back post surgery. I haven't been offered any alternative treatment from the hospital other than have my gallbladder removed, is there another way?? Any tips and advice much appreciated! smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

ok, since you are already in pain even though you are on a low fat diet which you should have done earlier before the pain was getting worse now it will have to be surgery but know this 50% of people suffer side-effects i.e. gallbladder/gallstone pain + constant diarreah even after surgery when the GB is no longer there, its called SOO pain. GB removal is not the answer to gallstones, plus it opens up the door to a whole lot of other problems.

• Posted

btw, my tip is: although you are on a low fat diet - know this: unless you have fresh organic fruits and veg all packaged meals contain huge amounts of hidden fat, calories and chemicals, that includes sandwiches.
  • Posted

Thanks Trex,don't eat anything processed or out of a packet, basically live on chicken, veg, salad and wholegrains. Quite happy to eat this way forever, just don't want the pain! I'm really concerned about side effects after surgery but as you say, I don't really have any other choice. Never had this before, came on quite suddenly after my pregnancy and altered my diet as soon as I went to the doctors initially. Tbh my diet wasn't bad before, ate good food with the occasional treat but probably just ate a bit too much of it! Fingers crossed the surgery works for me. Thankyou for your advice smile
  • Posted

I hope that surgery does work for you . Keep us all posted on what goes down.
  • Posted

So, you been 'been diagnosed with gallstones' but apart from ultrasound have they done anything else like CT, MRI or HIDA scan to confirm it or to see if any stones are blocking the biliary ducts or the pancreatic ducts ?

What does flaxseed tea taste like ?

When is your surgery date ?

Doctor advised me to drink plenty of water to thin and dilute my bodily fluids. If theres not enough water things can get dry, clogged-up, form crystals sand, salt, then eventually stones.

• Posted

Thanks Holly - - hope so too!

Trex - nope I only got offered an ultrasound, saw lots of little stones and sludge sitting at the bottom of my gallbladder, I wasn't offered anything else and the consultant at the hospital advised I have it taken out because of the frequency of attacks. I only saw the consultant last week and they said I would have a wait (worst case) of 18-20 weeks - haven't had anything through yet, hope it won't be too long though!!

Flaxseed tea is a bit creamy and slightly nutty. Supposed to keep gallbladder healthy and thin out the bile. Have to drink it hot though as its a bit gloopy! I have a massive mug a day smile

Ok will start to drink more water. Have you had your gallbladder removed or are you living with gallstones?

• Posted

Hello bluecows696

I havent had my GB removed, no. I am living with it. So far my stones are silent and since being told about them i am living life carefully to prevent a attack. They were once like sand particles but now they are 2 cm. I am carefull with my diet and only have a treat once a month.

I like the sound of how flaxseed tea tastes, will give it ago. wink

• Posted

Trex, how is it going. Eliminate flour from your diet. No more cramps and nausea. You may eat anything corn, rice or potatoes.

Basically everything with Gluten, eliminate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.