Tips on what to do when you feeling anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have generalised anxiety disorder and I have some things to calm my nerves when I have this. I just wonder if you people could give me some more tips.

What I do often, but it not always help;

• Water in face
  • Walking outside
  • Putting coin in shoe for distraction
  • Taking a small break and lay on bed
  • Doing a simple game on my phone
  • Eating something with strong taste
  • Squeezing my arm

I don't have a lot of options now and I feel much of the time that I don't know what to do when I having high stress and anxiety. Would apreciate to hear from you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

fundamentally it means carrying on as best you can all be it slower and in discomfort/pain.

Doing housework is a good one, as boring as it is, you can do that no matter what you face, even if it's just half an hour. Make a cup of tea also, watch something on YouTube etc - doing a lot of lititle things also helps. The stuff, as I call it , goes by itself, but it will hassle you and the millions of us who suffer it

Report Reply
  • Posted

i find having a bath helps me, i put my phone on side of the tub ( i will regret that one day) and wach a program on Netflix i do that every time i feel my anxiety away to start

Report Reply
  • Posted

Have you tried breathing exercises ,there is an app i found on my ipad and its on my android phone called breath ,you should give it a try ,i perform these exercises two to three times a day and even if im starting to feel my anxiety building up i will sit down and perform the breathing exercise ,hopefully this will help ,good luck .

Report Reply
    • Posted

That doesn't really help me. I had much hyperventilation at the beginning of my anxiety disorder and I figured out to don't give it too much attention. I have derealisation as well, so most often it doesn't feel good, but mostly weird when I concentrate on it and I would make myself crazy with any thoughts

Report Reply
  • Posted

my anxiety is high and i have to use diazepam. i am not sure if i have derealisation. i have bad sleep and not good dreams. is this part of depression too?

Report Reply
    • Posted

derealisation/dissasociation is often associated with chronic anxiety and / or depression.

I have had it about 3 years now.

Anxiety meds just increase the feeling of reality not being as sharp as it should be and Anxiety makes it worse and uses it a a mechanism to shutdown from the things that cause my anxiety. 🙏

Report Reply
  • Posted

my derealisation is bascally the sheer futility of everything. The only way to combat that is getting used to accepting far less than you hope for. If you are painfully listening to someone and you are not a bit interested in what they are saying then still try and listen.

People like us with these sorts of problems need above average tolerance to pain, we need to work on this as part of our inner character

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.