Tips please, dizziness is awful.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So it's been 5 weeks since my existing anxiety went through the roof and to some extent I have mildly reduced it using the technique of allowing it in and not fighting it but it's still there and the dizziness is awful now.

I have two immediate concerns, one is that I need to reduce the dizziness, I was in the supermarket this morning and it was a bit better but had to go again this afternoon and honestly thought I was going to faint, I was so unsteady and couldn't concentrate on anything.

The second issue, we are booked to go on a family trip to pantomime on Monday, I have been before and enjoyed it but in my current state of anxiety I fear it will be ruined by how I feel.

Yesterday we went to the kid's carol concert, I had anxiety waiting to go in, it did settle when inside though, then we went to the cinema and it was so bad when I got there that I felt like I was dying, I knew I wasn't but still felt awful even after we got home, did feel better in the film though oddly.

So here I am worried so much, this pantomime means the world to me, I want to go and I want to enjoy it like I used to but I'm scared, we are going to eat nearby before heading to the theatre for the show, I am familiar with both places but if I feel anxious I need to deal with that and the dizziness is so bad I don't know how to deal with that part.

I know I am smoking too much at the moment and that will make it worse but it's so hard not to, other than that it is obviously the anxiety.

So any positive thinking or coping techniques anyone? How do I get from fear to 'I can do this and enjoy it' and how to reduce the dizzy feeling?

I refuse to not go, the kids would be heartbroken and I don't believe in avoiding things that I can usually manage so I need to find a way to reduce the anxiety about it and help this horrid dizzy feeling.

What do you do in situations like this? Thanks.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi BellaLuna, 

You have made a great start on dealing with this!  It will take practice.  The important thing is to notice and acknowledge the positive changes. 

I think that mindfulness meditation is very helpful.  There are tons of free ones on the web.

Someone on patient put this up:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/learning-new-ways-to-cope--486434?page=0&order=Oldest

If you do a search for self help cognitive behavior therapy you will find more helpful stuff.  Grounding also can be helpful; search for "grounding therapy" and you should get hits.  There is also a method called Emotional Freedom Techniques, also known as "tapping," that uses acupressure points, and if you do a search you will find self help info for that method.

You are doing great taking control of your anxiety instead of letting it control you!  

• Posted

Thank you, it's really doing it's best to pin me down but I am going to give it one hell of a kicking before it beats me, I am doing a lot of the positive thinking and thank you for that link,I will have a read of that and search out the self help CBT too.

I had a nice afternoon out today, it tried to ruin it, I felt anxious as we set off but it didn't win, I was fine when I got there, now I need to get that thinking in place for Monday so I can have the evening out that we have planned, I know it wont be easy, I know it will try to ruin it but I am going to use every technique I can to get through it.

• Posted

Hey, I get like this in really warm places, so I always sit close to an exit and leave if I need to get some fresh air, alternatively I sit as close to the bathroom as I can get... It's so hard going to places and having these bouts of dizziness... I literally have to sit because I actually feel like I'm floating and then the headaches come afterwards... I wish I could be of more help with this but unfortunately you probably won't really feel ok at the pantomime because your brain has other ideas and will ruin it.. the best thing to do is pinch your leg as well so you know you're grounded .. also spot 5 things u can see, 4 things you can smell, 3 things you can hear and 2 things you can touch if ur really bad... I really hope this helps xx
    • Posted

Thank you, thankfully by sheer coincedence our seats are close to a fire exit, the sitting part is the one I am dreading the least since it does me huge favours in terms of the dizziness but I know I will feel some anxiety throughout the whole evening, I will make a note of your tips on my phone too because obviously when you're anxious your mind forgets things so easily xx
  • Posted

Well, for some reason my posts have been moderated!  Have you had the dizziness checked out by the doc?  Could it be a blood sugar issue?
    • Posted

Hi, no I haven't except my blood pressure which was fine and I am having some blood tests on Monday for various things including blood sugar, I do feel it is mostly anxiety but two things I noted today were that it wasn't as bad this morning but was dreadful by noon, I hadn't eaten at all at that point so that could be a factor.

Also I am smoking a lot, bad I know but my nerves have been awful and I often get worsened dizziness when I smoke too much so it could be that too, I'm going to try to eat at regular intervals and try to cut back the smoking.

I am prepared for anxiety, I have been trying to float through it and I know I just have to carry on with that but the dizziness is making that very hard to do.

• Posted

Hi there i have had dizzyness/ head pressure feel oike im dying lol since july now doc put down to anxiety have days when im brilliant then days when its there but ive started using 4head and it helps so much it just seems to take thet feeling off may just b in my head but id give it a go x
    • Posted

Horrible isn't it? Especially when you feel better then it comes back and knocks you sideways again, I will look up 4 head, I hadn't heard of that before, I'm glad it helps you, thank you x
  • Posted

Hiya,

Sorry to hear you are really struggling at the moment, I can totally sympathise.

I know its so hard to think positive when you feel so anxious, I understand that, but trying to repeat positive affirmations can be helpful. Phrases like "I'm ok" "I can do this" "I'm safe, and warm" "I have family and friends with me to help and keep me safe". It is easier said than done I know. Breathing techniques can be helpful too, as that gives you something to think about rather than the anxiety. There are some breathing and relaxation techniques on this website which are good. Maybe trying cbt might help you too? I think it is all about thinking positive which seems good.

If you've been to the doctors and they say everything is ok, then that's good and shows its anxiety related. I know its still hard to accept when u feel so rotten but hopefully you have a good reassuring Dr.

Take care. Hope the pantomime goes ok. "You will be ok" wink Hope that helps.

My faith really helps me, reading the Bible is comforting, especially psalms. 😊

Also reminding yourself that you haven't ever fainted and have been ok and coped is also good. I'm sure your family and friends are all there to help you too. All the best

• Posted

Thank you so much, I really do need to focus on my positive thinking, it is really hard of course but it does help when I can apply it, I have been doing that a lot lately and it has worked well but it's just got on top of me again worrying about this night out which means a lot to me.

My wonderful GP printed me some sheets out from this site which is how I found the forum so I think I will spend the weekend working with those because the tension will grow as Monday approaches.

My CPN said she is going to refer me for CBT but that was 2 months ago and she keeps forgetting, I will chase her up about it though.

You are right, I will be with my family and I know they would do everything to keep me safe and comfortable, someone once said to me that you should plan these things as if you are going to have a wonderful time, laugh and have fun and not just 'cope' and I believe in that theory although at the moment just coping and enjoying part of the evening would be wonderful.

I can do this though, I may feel anxiety but I have done many times over the years and have lived to tell the tale so I can feel it and manage it again.

I can and I will, I just need to remember that smile

• Posted

I'm dealing with the same as you the dizzies constantly, I take spells where I really feel like I'm going by I faint and can't feel my legs this comes out of no where. And I'm not even having panic attacks. I smoke too but haven't been smoking much cause it makes it all worse and it scares me to death. I've had labs after labs and Dr says anxiety but I'm not convinced as this I've never had before with anxiety. I've been dealing with this since Oct everyday all day long.
    • Posted

Indeed, I know its so difficult to think positive when you are feeling anxious, I understand that. Being positive does help as you say and I hope you can feel ok on Monday.

That is good that your doctor is good and hopefully the sheets they have printed off for you will help. 😉 Glad you have got a lovely, caring supportive family too.

Yeh it might be worth reminding your CPN about the cbt and maybe saying you've been feeling worse recently too and that might speed up the referal.

Hope your weekend goes ok and is as relaxing as possible. All the best, you are ok, you are doing ok. 😉

All the best for Monday, hope it is enjoyable. I'm sure you'll be ok and get through it. I understand your struggles. Take care

• Posted

Hope you feel better soon. The dizzies suck don't they. Is there anything that helps you? Maybe lying down, sitting down or sitting with your head between your knees might help when you are feeling faint. Also, taking deep breaths and walking slowly can help. 😉 Take care and hope you feel better soon. Hope your weekend goes ok.
    • Posted

Hi, I am so sorry you are going through this, it's a nasty thing that's for certain, I think although it's natural to worry we have to try to trust our doctors and anxiety is sneaky, it throws sudden symptoms at you that you don't expect or feel familiar with, it does it because as you get used to one sensation it hates it so it tries another, anxiety hates it when you're not scared anymore.

It's really hard not to be scared I know, I'm always scared of something but I do find that if I accept a certain symptom it tends to improve, no fear means it has nothing to feed on.

The smoking will mean less oxygen in the blood, short term it wont hurt, I wont get into the risks of smoking, I smoke myself and no one needs a lecture lol but try drinking extra water to flush the nicotine through a bit.

Anxiety can come in lots of levels so even if it's not a panic attack it can still be anxiety causing the symptoms because even relatively low level stress and anxiety increases our adrenaline and that will cause dizziness very easily.

I know it's cliche but do breathing exercises, slowly in and hold then slowly out, it really does help because it regulates the oxygen levels, I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

So sorry I just accidentally sent a reply to you meant for pamela, my tired mind has me muddled up lol.

Anyway thank you, I am really lucky with both my GP and family, I couldn't wish for a better doctor and the family are so supportive, quite how people on their own cope with this I will never know.

I do feel better when I am sitting, I think that part of the theatre trip will be a saviour to me, we are seated throughout and they are very comfortable seats too which hopefully will help.

I am going to have a quiet day tomorrow and apply some postive thinking, the only goal I have for tomorrow is to dye my grey roots, they are awful and I want to put some pretty false nails on, it perks me up and gives me something to look at when I feel panicky outside.

I am going to give this the best shot I can, it's hard and it wont be easy on Monday but I refuse to avoid it without even giving it a go, got to think positively smile

• Posted

Heya,

No worries, it's easily done. I'm new to this forum, so not really familiar with it myself lol.

Hope you can have an ok day today. Hopefully pampering yourself will make you feel better and more relaxed. You'll be ok. 😉

All the best and take care

• Posted

All the best for today. 😉 You can do it, you are ok, you will be safe and with your family. Try and enjoy the pantomime as much as you can and try and keep positive. You can do this. 😊 Think of the achievement you will feel when you have done it. Deep breaths and positive thoughts, you aren't alone. 😉

Take care

• Posted

Thank you so much, I feel absolutely awful today, I even felt terrible on the way to the shop this morning and usually that doesn't happen, it's more when I'm in it which was bad today as usual.

I'm really trying to stay positive but I feel like I'm losing everything now.

• Posted

Ok, yeh its only natural to feel anxious today, I understand. You are ok, you will be ok. Well done for trying to keep positive, that's a start. 😉 One step at a time. You will be ok. Everything you do today is an achievement, you are doing ok. Take care.
    • Posted

Thank you, I hope this morning's bad feelings were simply due to the extra pressure I am feeling about the theatre later, I think it is the reason but a tired mind plays some awful tricks and has you thinking your whole life is over, hopefully it will settle again after tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.