Tired all the time not interested in eating anything but sweet things

Posted , 2 users are following.

As mentioned by others I am tired a lot and want to eat sweet things all the time have no interest in other foods as you can imagine I am putting on weight but cant stop eating chocolate.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

When I was on anti depressants I wanted to eat sweet things quite a lot, and now after stopping medication after nearly 30 years still crave something sweet daily. 

I did put on a lot of weight when on Effexor, and I understand some anti depressants do this, but personally I feel, because of personal experience, that my depression makes me want to eat sweet things.  it is something ouyr bodies obviously want. 

Do you think it is your anti depressant that is doing this?  Although I eat healthily most of the time, I still like a sweet treat most days.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry to sound cruel, and I do understand, from bitter experience, about the effects of depression but have you tried simple tricks like not keeping any chocolate or sweets in the house? I sometimes crave something sweet at bedtime, but what stops me is the lack of any sweets in the cupboard. I agree with anne240 that your cravings and lack of interest in other food might be part of your depression. And tiredness can be due to depression too. You don't give any details of what your problems are, and what if any medication you are on. When it comes down to it, you can only gain weight by eating more calories than your body is using up, so you need to follow a healthy diet, and you need to get help for whatever problem is preventing you from doing so.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

on venlafaxin and the eating habit have changed since starting them a year ago. In answer to your other comments about not having      sweet things in the house .I will go out and get them
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Venlafaxine has a side effect of making a lot of people who take it put on weight.  I have read of this on this and other forums.  I put on 3 stone, but lost it all when I stopped the anti depressant.  It is a matter of controlling what we eat.  Having said that, here I am at my computer eating an ice cream Mars Bar!!!  Don't worry about the weight or eating habit, just concentrate of feeling better.  Many people on Venlafaxine have commented better to be overweight than depressed.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the clarification. I too am on venlafaxine, been on it for more than 6 years. I haven't noticed much increase in appetite, although, as I said before, I do sometimes have to resist a craving for sweets. I knit in the evenings while watching TV to stop myself nibbling! I know some people have put on a lot of weight with antidepressants. Perhaps you can mention it to your doctor and ask for his/her advice? It depends on whether you think the venlafaxine is working for you, or if the side effects are too much for you.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up