Tired of trying AD after AD, need some advice please!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having problems with panic and anxiety for a year now. I've tried Prozac, Lexapro, celexa, Effexor and Cymbalta. Every one of them seems to not help at all or make it worse. I stopped taking Prozac 15 days ago and my anxiety is still worse than before I started it. I thought I'd clear my body of all the drugs for a while but my anxiety is so bad I don't know how long I can deal before trying yet another drug. Does anyone have any suggestions of meds that worked for them? My dr suggested Paxil but I've heard bad reviews about that one. Has anyone tried BuSpar? That had mixed reviews too. Any ideas would be helpful. I feel like my dr just keeps changing the meds and nothing is working. I'm using benzos now to get through this rough patch but I'm afraid I'll get addicted. I really just need something to calm me down. I feel super anxious and panicky all the time. Thanks for your help!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i know exactly how you feel.  I have been on serveral anxiety meds for the last 3 months., nothing is working except KLONPIN 0.5mg and the dr says , its wil become addictive.  The othe day she wrote me a prescripition for EMSAM PATCH , LITTLE I DID I KNOW IT COST $1800 FOR 30 day supply.  HOW CAN I AFFORD THAT?  I AM FEELING PANIKY NOW!!! I NEED HELP, so my insurance doesn't pay for it.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

• Posted

Yeah I've been using klonopin as well. See the comment below about the gene test. I'm going to do it if I can afford it. It will narrow down which meds will work and which wont. I heard it also tells your doctor if your body is metabolizing the drugs corrects.

• Posted

Just found out that the cost is $330 after they bill your insurance. That's if you make over $75,000 per year, if you make less than that is $150 I think. I have no idea what the cost is w/o insurance. I'm at the point where it's worth it to me just to get some answers and maye some hope that things will get better!!

• Posted

You stopped prozac 15 days ago and its half life is very very long. Can take 2-3 months before all traces of it are completely out of your body. Its half life is about 2-4 days. So if you want your body cleared. Of all meds most likely two months from your last pill will be around the time you are medicine free.

there is a test cyp450 gene test it will show which meds are workable for your body, ask the dr about it. If he doesnt know yikes.a psychiatrist should know otherwise you are seeing very outdate unknowledgeable professionals.

medications actually only are useful and work in half the people that use them.  You can try dbt , cbt therapy sessions along with regular therapy.

i do not use daily meds, i cant and havent in over twenty years, but i do use the emergency xanax for those hellish moments i cant manage it  its interesting but when theres no other options you have no choice but to learn to self calm. It takes a ton of patience and practice. Allowing it to wash over you and pass and knowing it will. Trying very hard not to react to it or feed into it by fearing the fear. Many times i can do it, sometimes it soirals. Mindful exerices are very nice. Theres an app on it or utube has a ton of videos to choose from. Yogas is always a plus as well.

• Posted

Thanks! I'm working with my Dr about having the gene test done. They are trying to find out the cost for me. At this point I definitely need to have it done.

• Posted

My anxiety went down a ton when I started taking Vitamin D after I found out I had a deficiency. You will feel more balanced mentally and it also helps with agoraphobia. Caffeine also seems to cause some anxiety and especially for people who are sensitive to stimuli.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.