tiredness at 8 weeks post TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all. I am new on the site and live in Australia. I am 8 weeks from second TKR..the other knee was done 2 years ago.

This knee recovery much better and less pain, but so tired. JUst slept 12 hours. Reducing meds slowly, but had bad experience with physio who pushed so hard my back went into spasm which set me back a bit..

I feel i am just being lazy but doing as much as i can. Are you all feeling this tired? I've never slept so well in my life.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes always tired because I only sleep a couple hours at a time. Especially tired after PT. So wiped out with pain and stiffness. I just try to keep hoping things will get better.
  • Posted

Sleep, sleep, SLEEP!😊

When we are sleeping our healing process works overtime to get us better.

Sleep, if you can get it, is the BEST THING for you right now!

It took me 12 weeks post op to even get five straight hours of sleep. You are VERY fortunate to be able to get good rest.

Oh, and by the way, WELCOME!!!

😁😊??🤗😄😺😄😊😁😺😁😄😁🤗??😺😁🤗😄😺??

• Posted

I am now 9 weeks post op. I am exhausted after any outings. Going to the store or bank and I get home tired and achey. I think that is pretty normal. It takes time to heal.
  • Posted

Hi Cushla, I am twelve weeks now and still extremely tired a lot of the time. Listen to your body and rest as much as you can.   Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Cushla

Pretty normal to be so tired, 8 weeks still early. Ahh to sleep 12 hours in one go!! It didn't happen at 8 weeks for me, heck it doesn't happen even now at 4 months. Can't say it's actual pain, just discomfort. Can take me an hour to drop off! Then I get the loo stops every so often. I tend to wake & have to move, then I HAVE to go the loo.

On days I work, I HATE my alarm clock. Feel I've just got off to proper sleep & off it goes!

When I retire (next year I hope) I'm going to enjoy stamping on the thing!! Lol

Try to keep up with exercises even if you only do them once a day! Heresy I know but use every day actions as exercise too. Go up the stairs & bend TKR knee into the step. You'll find all sorts of actions can be turned into a, sort of, exercise.

Glad this knee is healing.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

You are an exception to the rule!  Most of us TKR people can't sleep hardly at all . .and so are very tired al the time.  Perhaps it's the pain meds you are taking this time?  anyway, 12 hours sleep sounds wonderful to me. . . The PT's are so darned sadistic sometimes!  I hope things go better for you.  On the question of being so tired, you have been checked for anaemia I suppose?  I was very anaemic after my operation,and actually needed a blood transfusion.  that would make you very weak and tired. . .just a thought.

• Posted

Hi! I am new to this site and looked up tiredness after TKR and found this discussion. I am 5 weeks post op and am exhausted too. I am struggling also with getting my knee measurement much past 103 PT wants it to be at least 110. This of course is discouraging and fell below 103 today. Does anyone else have these problems
    • Posted

Don't know why needs to be at least 110. Opinions vary, bear in mind. You are not even six weeks. Many hospitals in UK have 90 degree bend by 6 weeks as target. Swelling reduces and the range increases. Exercise, rest ice elevate all important. Knee will tell you how far to go! Start a new discussion for more responses maybe as old posts so met not read as much! Good healing to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much for reply! I have been so discouraged since rehab today. I will start new discussion =)
  • Posted

Hi from Pa, I am 8 weeks  out, return to a 12hour3day a week shift at hospital on Sunday! I am always exhausted, after exercise, or doing housework,if I do errands, I also am lucky to get 3-4 hours sleep at a time.I had a hard time getting to 115,but can lift, walk,exercise. I also have swelling, not so noticeable to the eye but makes leg n foot feel wooden.I really need to get back to work, but am so nervous about the swelling and discomfort, it’s 12hours on your feet taking care of patients. At 62 and having always been in healthcare I know how to push thrust day, for those of you that have done this is there hope that once I get out there I will quickly get back to normal?
    • Posted

I think you are really pushing it by going back to work at 8 weeks. Two months is still early in your recovery. At 12 weeks I was completing PT. I was walking little bits, but going places exhausted me. I went back to part time work at 5 months. The first weeks week exhausting. Twelve hour shifts are going to be very hard on your knee and your entire body. You are in a very demanding profession and being on your feet for that length of time will cause swelling iand pain. If you can possibly wait to return to work or work part time, I would encourage you to do so.  Rest when you can, eat well, ice your knee and read trashy novels.  My best to you.

Ellie

• Posted

Yes, remember being very tired...wrote this at 5 weeks in my journal...

"I am finding now, at what is five weeks post op, that I have the energy to do my exercises, go for a twenty minute walk, and do what is needed to look after myself in terms of washing myself and getting ready easy to prepare food (for myself) and ONE other task. I was able to create trough garden in a container I brought from the garden centre, as I want to grow some herb. I spent most of the time seated when doing it, as it did take quite a long time. I was extremely tired when I had finished. I nearly didn’t make it to the end of the task!"

Might be worth getting your iron levels checked maybe?

But exhaustion seems to be common!

Best wishes for your healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.