TKR 2 weeks ago. Struggling with physio

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi..this is my first time on here.  I had a TKR two weeks ago and saw my physio 6 days ago and surgeon 4 days ago and they both said I need to do more more more physio. I have to do 10-20 minutes every hour or so!  I am in so much pain when I do them. I am struggling to straighten my leg and my bend is about 80%. They couldn't understand why I was using crutches after a week (I should be using a stick!)  They have frightened me into thinking I won't get better if I don't exercise as they say. I am quite young to have had this op, is this why they are harsh with me?  Can anybody recommend some bending exercises that are not as painful. Thank you

2 likes, 163 replies

163 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well I don't see anything wrong with using the crutches until you feel more confident and have a better bend. From all the posts on here it seems obvious that if you are in pain you can't exercise properly, therefore it is vital that you get good pain meds sorted out. It is you surgeons responsibility to have done this in the first place. Also, where I live they don't let you out of hospital until you have a 90 bend so don't be so hard on yourself. You are also possibly feeling the depression that most of us went through the first few weeks which is normal but doesn't help. I don't think age has much to do with it. We are all different and you will get there.
    • Posted

hi, thank you for your reply. Nobody ever told me it would be so painful or I would feel 'down' about it so it has come as a bit of a shock. They said I could go home after two nights but I chose to stay another (I have a five year old son and didn't want him to see me in so much pain) I will keep trying and not expect too much after such a short time....
    • Posted

it is certainly hard for you looking after a little one. I had enough justl ooking afte rmyself. As I was told by my physio and the medical staff this is a major operation and to expext mental as well as physical trauma. To be honest I don't think your pre or post op information  has been the best  so you mustn't feel that you are at fault. Where do you live?
    • Posted

West Yorkshire. I had it done at Spire Hospital Elland. Yes I think you could be right the info I got was not as comprehensive as it should've been, again maybe this is because of my age and they thought I would recover a lot faster! 
    • Posted

That's no excuse. Here in Wales everyone is treated the same. We all have the same preop classes no matter what age. As it's the spire were you private? 
    • Posted

Yes but don't think I got much better treatment than the nhs patients apart from my food menu was better! I'm sure they weren't asked to pay extra for the sticks!
    • Posted

It sounds awful. I'm so glad I don't live there. I'm beginning to realise how lucky I've been.
  • Posted

Wow they are being harsh....I'm just over 6 weeks post op and still only have 88% bend

although I've been down to one crutch for weeks no one has mentioned I should be using a stick

i still can't straighten my knee properly but exercising  every hour would kill me ....I do mine 3 or 4 times a day ...but everyone is different and if you're only young that must be the reason why they're pushing you 

good luck 

• Posted

hi, thank you for replying. I am trying to use one stick around the house (not ventured out walking yet). I understand what the physio is saying and why but the reason I had my knee done was the pain and I couldn't do exercise - he's like a little action man - I'm not!  Everybody I spoke to prior the op said it would hurt but I would soon get over it - not one of them said how much or how useless and lethargic I would feel so I expected to be much further forward than I am. Patience is what I need!.
    • Posted

hi, thank you for replying. I am trying to use one stick around the house (not ventured out walking yet). I understand what the physio is saying and why but the reason I had my knee done was the pain and I couldn't do exercise - he's like a little action man - I'm not!  Everybody I spoke to prior the op said it would hurt but I would soon get over it - not one of them said how much or how useless and lethargic I would feel so I expected to be much further forward than I am. Patience is what I need!.
    • Posted

All of this caring about how you navigate is so foreign to me if you'll excuse the pun. In my area of the US crutches are verboten. We use a walker till we feel sturdy enough to walk with a cane. The feeling is crutches are dangerous especially when you are a little loopy from pain meds. Easy to lose balance and fall. I don't recall using crutches except for a short period after my synovectomy. (I have PVNS). I always say common sense has to be the dictating factor. Know your strengths and weaknesses and roll with it
    • Posted

i had a walker for one day!  It must be the old British spirit - bite the bullet and get on with it!!  I think I am better taking things slower and getting better than rushing and doing myself an injury..
  • Posted

If you have a bed or table high enough off the floor so that your feet at not touching the floor sit down as close to the edge as possible so you won't fall off. Hook your bad leg with your good leg and gently pull back as far as you can till the pain is evident but not unbearable. Hold for a count of 10. Repeat 10 times, rest and repeat 2 more sets of ten. You are in charge and will know when you've done all you cans handle. You will feel the stretch and give every time you pull. Take a pain pill an hour before and ice all the way around the knee. If you have a bike instead of peddling like you would for cardio, set it so when you are at the top of the rotation you can just push and hold at the top of the stretch. Hold to a count of 15, repeat 10 times, rest. Do this for 20 mins. as a warm up before you do the the 1st excercise I outlined. Both of these keep you in complete control of the pressure yet pushing those damaged and swollen ligaments and tendons. Keep us advised and I'm sure everyone on here will become your biggest boosters and supporters. You are going through what we all have but when its you, the challenge seems overwhelming. Good luck and God bless.
    • Posted

thank you very much for taking the time to explain the exercises to me. I will certainly give the first one a go but I don't have a bike.  I am glad I have found this website and yes I'm sure you will all become very important to me in my daily struggle so I will keep you posted. I know I have made a lot of progress since the op but I think I was just shocked at the surgeon and physios attitude towards me as they made me feel as if I had made no progress or effort at all and I had. ...
  • Posted

Hi Shanders, poor you having had your op only 2weeks ago, I think they are being a little harsh on you. To expect you to excersise that much is beyond a joke, you are actually going through the worst phase of the op. it is so painful  and traumatic of course you are afraid we all are. When I was is bad pain I stopped for a couple of days and then started again when I felt more able. I am now 10weeks and can walk and do my normal things again. Almost all patients still have to use crutches after weeks and I was urged by my pysio to keep on with the crutches whilst I felt I needed them. There are probably people on the foram who can advise you on that better than I .i just want to offer you support at this very difficult time, and we all seem to have different rates of healing. I am 82 and live alone I have found it so difficult to deal with pain and stress of it all. You will get there and when the pain subsides a little the excersises won't be so hard on your body. Best of luck from Tucks.
    • Posted

Oh Tucks, how can I complain when you have had to deal with it all on your own.  I have a fantastic partner who has taken over all the household duties without a moan, and he thinks I am doing marvellous to be moving about as well as I am. I think I will cancel next weeks  physio and see how I am in a couple of weeks (that will take the pressure off me a bit)  you are an inspiration and I wish you continued health and success...biggrin
    • Posted

Aaw thank you for those lovely words xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.