TKR 2 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Just thought I would share some information regarding my recent total knee replacement, done 0n 9/12/2014.

I am a 58 year old male, residing in South Australia. I came here with my parents from the UK when I was 12 (never been back). They were from Ipswich in Suffolk.

I broke my left leg here, back in 1972 in a motorcycle accident and have tended to throw my weight to the right side ever since and wore out the right knee. No cartlidge left, bone on bone and VERY painful. I also had a triple bypass done in 2011 due to some bad genes (have 2 cousins in UK that had to have same op at same age!)

Anyway I am recovering pretty well so far. Spent 1 night in intensive care and 3 more days in hospital and home on day four. I live with my wife and 23 year old daughter. Compared to open heart surgery, this has been a breeze so far.

I still have the waterproof dressing on and have attended my first physio class. 1 hour in a small gym and 1 hour in a pool. Just starting to be able to sleep again at night, after 2 weeks of very restless nights. I only take 2 x Panadol Forte' at night, and can get through the day without needing pain killers. I can bend the knee past 90 degrees, but it often takes a few minutes of 'warming up'. I can walk a fair distance with one stick, but can generally move around the house without one. I have lost about 5Kg and feel pretty well overall, although I was a bit constipated for the first few days at home. I used Metamucil and ate plenty of fresh fruit and natural yogurt which helped.

I am generally a pretty optimistic person, and I am sure the mental aspect is important in any sugical recovery. I picture myself back at work (due to start on 19/01/2015) and enjoying life with ny now my pain free knee.

Aside from some residual soreness, it actually is a joy to walk on, compared to pre-op where I hobbled everywhere in agony and lived on Panadol Osteo.

Anyway I hope some of this information is helpful and please feel free to email me with any questions.

Cheers, Paul

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Good for you Paul....nice positive vibes and sounds like yo are on the high road to recovery. As .most on here will tell you, tkr is a tricky recovery. The docs don't get into the mental side of the equation. Don't be surprised if at different stages you will suddenly feel like you have turned a corner and that  turn has taken you on a path thru hell. Its not uncommon and shouldn't be veiwed as a set back, just another step in the healing process. I won't bore you with my story but have gone thru rehab 4 x's with my knee being opened and reopened. It's the nerve and scar tissue that continually changes. Hope you have a straight shot to a quick and complete recovery. BTW, I am in the Midwest of the USA.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear of your tough recovery. I guess I learned the importance of keeping a good mental balance during my recovery from the triple bypass. Having your breastbone sawn in half then wired back together again was just so much harder than this surgery. I went through a long and  roller coaster recovery from THAT operation, so I do know what you mean though! Best wishes for the future.
  • Posted

WOW.....Well you're certainly very lucky...that's all I can say.

One night in intensive care?  Why was that?

Your experience is certainly not something 'most' people on here can relate to.  At least it's not something I recognise.

• Posted

Hi Pete, maybe the medico's do things differently 'down under'? I was told the one night was as a precaution due to my past Cardio history. Some younger and fitter patients go straight to a normal ward on the first night for monitoring with 5 other patients, then to their private room?

I pay AU $276 per month for Private Hospital/Health cover for myself, my wife and my daughter. It's better than the public health system where you can wait a year or more, just to be able to have the operation.

• Posted

You're obviously doing well but recovery isn't a race and I'd be wary of ditching the crutches too early. You need to walk correctly in order to be set for the future and walking aids help with this. 

Good luck though and all the best with your rcovery 

• Posted

Thanks Butterbean,  you are correct and I am in no hurry. I came home with just one walking stick which was approved by the physiotherapist at the hospital as she said I moved more naturally this way. I guess it just depends on the individual?
    • Posted

Oh all's good then! smile I thought you might be making the decision without any expert advice..... Which might have been a bit hasty .....but it's sounds like you're doing extremely well 👍
    • Posted

Thanks, trust me I am no hero Lol. Best advice is to ALWAYS follow your doctors / health professionals advice to the letter.
  • Posted

Very encouraging information.... I have been putting of TKR opting for injections.

its a struggle after surgery... The pain is worth the knee replacement

THANKX for sharing UR experience....nice to hear someone postitove!

• Posted

My Hospital ran a two hour information session with a light supper after. It was free and  great although I was surprised to learn more than half of patients cant be bothered attending ! Knowledge is power and the session gave me a great insight into what was going to happen and likely scenarios during recovery. If you have a chance to attend something like this, please GO. You wont regret it. Good Luck and I would love to hear from you post op.
  • Posted

Hi Timo007,

I am in Western Australia, and had a TKR in September this year.

I am 3 months post op now and at last I feel as if I am getting my life back on track.

We do seem to have a lot more physio care in Oz than in other countries.

You seem to be doing well, good on you.

Merry Christmas

Caz

• Posted

Hi Caz

Thanks Caz, I am getting stronger and more confident every day. I'm not sure why so many UK and USA patients seem to struggle? At my Rehab session today there were 4 other recent patients ranging from a young soccer player in his mid 20's through to an elderly lady in her late seventies, (all TKR's in the last 4 weeks) and they were all doing pretty well and had a good upbeat attitude. As you say, the post operative Physio seems much better structured, and the Pre-Operative Information session was awesome as well. I have always paid for Private Health Cover, for many years, and it is certainly 'paying me back' now!

Cheers & Merry Christmas!

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul, I'm a UK patient who isn't struggling 😊 I'm just going along quite nicely, and I'm surprised how little pain I've had.  I didn't have to wait long for my free NHS op either I was just asked which month I'd like it ! 

It may seem there are more UK and USA patients struggling but it may just be that there are a lot more of us so it just seems that way. 

Happy Christmas 

• Posted

Hi Butterbean, that's great to hear. Thinking about it I guess a lot of people who are having a good recovery probably would not even bother with a site like this one? You are also correct that with a total population of around 24 million on a very large land mass, there are not that many of us Lol! 

Hope your recovery keeps going well and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family 

cheers, Paul 

• Posted

Hi Paul yes that's true most people without a problem would probably never see this site.... They don't know what they're missing lol

Until about 18 months ago we lived in WA for 3 years so I know you're not exactly packed in in your beautiful country 😄 

Heather

• Posted

Paul .........I don't know how Australia and US compare but in the US the normal protocol is to drag you out of bed the second day and therapy at smone level starts immediately. One of the big differences is the use of assist I've devices. We are put on a walker and not crutches. Using the walker allows you to relearn the proper heel toe stepping proceedure. 4 days hospitilization is the norm and we immediately go into one on one therapy either as home health or preferably to a clinic type setting where better, high end equipment is available. Therapy can last up to sixteen weeks or more, once to 3x's weekly. The theory is that therapists teach you new stuff each time then you are to master the process on your own at home. Its the quirks of the human body that create problems and have to be addressed independently. The unaddressed mental picture is one of the most difficult. Being stuck at a point of recovery or suddenly finding yourself being set back as the nerves and muscles decide on their own to rebel. Weather changes that noonectold you would have an adverse effect and so on. One of the concerns of Early life tkr, the joint as we know them today, has a life average of 15 years and a one time replacement factor. An individual at age 45 could be looking down stream at being in trouble at 75. Technology may change that but we can't be sure. My 1st one @ 65 broke loose at 76 and had to replaced but I have a tumor called pvns which puts me on a whole different calendar. Anyway, a good positive attitude is good medicine and wish everyone was a text book case and back ready to run 10k's after 3 months. Merry Christmas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.