TKR 2 years ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a TKR back in November 14 and now having major pain with it.  Been to hospital and had two bone scans both which show nothing wrong with the metal or cement or any loosening.  The pain in my knee is getting worse. The only thing the surgeon thinks the problem could be are the ligaments loosening.  This being the case he may need to do a revision.  Only problem now is that my hip on the same leg needs doing too and the surgeon says that this needs doing first as the hip will not cope with the knee exercises for the revision.  Seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place.  Do I have the hip replaced and hope the pain in the knee fades or should I have the knee done.  Either way the pain in my knee is getting worse.  I have been prescribed naproxen but notice now that it is not touching the pain. Any advice most welcome. Waiting for a steroid injection for the hip and this helps the knee too. Getting fed up now of hobbling around.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shelley

I had my TKR August 10. I had to have necrotic bone removed because of dx. SONK. Anyway, as a last resort my OS sent me to a pain clinic that did a ablation to the 3 major nerves of the knee. They basically zap them with heat to stop the pain.

At first I thought it didn't work but after 2-3 weeks it got better. I now walk over a mile away day. This procedure was done December 21st.

I hope this helps. Good luck?

• Posted

You are only 2 months out. This is very early in the process. Go back to The basics. Gentle slow exercise.....lots of icing and hydration. Elevation and rest at every chance. From the looks of your message you are trying to run before you crawled. Remember the scope and trauma that you experienced a very short time ago. You basically have a leg cut off and reattached and somehow you were made to believe you would be whole in 6 weeks. Unfortunately you are one of many. Just slow down....way down. You'll get there. Did anyone he'll you it takes a year too own a prosthesis? I'm years into this. 11 surgeries, radiation, 5 complete rehabs. Its not easy ...its nn or quick. Don't be afraid to take pain meds. They won't kill you or make you addicted if taken as prescribed. You will get better

• Posted

Hi, i should have said 1 November 2014, so now 2 years on from the TKR. First year was fine, but then it went downhill from there on which is whats driving me up the wall. Between that and the hip I just seem to be hobbling rather than walking which is affecting both my social and work life. All good fun!
  • Posted

I've had both ops.  The hip is waaaaay easier to recover from than the knee. Had my hip done in 2009.  Three days in the hospital five in a rehab joint.  Then...

Six days a week, five hours a day in the gym and therapy pool (the absolute BEST way to recover).  Saw a PT twice a week.  My daughter is a graduate nutritionist plus an ACSM and ACE-certified trainer.  (The American College of Sports Medicine certification is the "gold standard"...takes 2 years to get.)  She designed my training regimen.  That's 30-hours of rehab work a week.  Result...

I was back at work six weeks later, no walking aids, no meds, no pain, full strength.  You can do this if you apply yourself...oh...and are a rehab freak like me.  In my humble opinion, if you want to prepare for the knee revision, this is your path.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.