TKR

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had TKR 4 weeks ago and the white stockings are driving me mad. How long did you all keep them on for?

Thanks Mary

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I never wore them beyond the hospital, I just iced mine and the swelling was gone by 3 weeks..I am 6 weeks out.
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

The torture stockings come in all sorts of colours.  Mine were a dark slate grey colour (I think...But then I'm colour blind, they could have been yellow).

As far as I'm aware, It's 6 weeks you have to keep them on for.  Yes you did read that right...SIX weeks!  They're horrible and I was very glad when I could consign them to the bin.  However, I did afford myself the luxury of removing them for a half hour each day, and that feeling of relief was sheer extacy. 

• Posted

Hi Mary 

ive been told 6 weeks by my surgeon ..

Hows it going after 4 weeks ??? 

• Posted

Thanks John

Starting to see light at end of tunnel. Never had so much pain tho!! How are you?

• Posted

Six weeks - to the minute.  Count yourself lucky, I had to wear them through one of our hottest Summers!

They are dreadful to wear, but the alternative is far, far worse.

Unfortunately, will be back in them end of March for knee number two.

Lynn 8 months post op

• Posted

Hope the second goes well. At least you know what to expect, although I'm not sure thats good
    • Posted

hi lynn

i noticed you're 8 months post op

are you fully mobile now?

i had my OP 6 months ago and I'm still suffering pain during the night and if I walk too far

i think I must be one of the unfortunate ones who's op hasn't done a lot to improve their quality of life.

i did everything by the letter...exercise...ice...elevation...etc....and of course 6 weeks in those dreaded stockings 

all the best to you and everyone else

Jean 

• Posted

The recommendation by surgeon and physio that you should wear them 6 weeks to avoid DVT xx
    • Posted

should i be icing still? I stopped weeks ago

TKR 13 weeks 1 day

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I wore mine continuously for two weeks, but I was also in a straight leg brace for that time as I had a patella realignment, lateral release and arthroscopy. After I was able to ditch the brace (oh the ecstasy!) my surgeon said I only needed to wear my stocking when I went to bed or when I was sitting for long periods. Stopped using it completely at around 5 weeks.

At 13 weeks I'm still icing about 3-4 times per day (after my multiple exercise sessions).

• Posted

Hello Mary

I had green compression stockings they were thigh high. I wore them for six weeks and hated them but when i stopped the swelling got worse. At 10 weeks i still wear them when my leg feels swollen and heavy and it does provide relief.

• Posted

I wore them years ago, but the recent replacements I didn't have to wear them. Thank goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.