TKR

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had TKR 4 weeks ago and the white stockings are driving me mad. How long did you all keep them on for?

Thanks Mary

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

At least 6 - 8 weeks. I flying next week and will be using them on the flight
  • Posted

My surgeon is fanatical about them and insists on six weeks, but because I was so active and with much moaning from me, he gave in at four weeks and off they came.  It was the highlight of the year!  Some surgeons don't use them, some use injections, there seems to be so many different views on what is best. I think perhaps they are the safest option for the first few weeks, but six weeks seems like eternity when you are wearing them!
  • Posted

It rather seems that there is divided opinion here between surgeons. Over here in Spain, I don't know anyone who has had to wear them, but EVERYONE does have to use heparin (or similar) injections every day to thin the blood, which to my mind is a much better solution!  OK, it burns a bit when you liquid goes in, but then that's it for the day . . I feel really sorry for those who have to wear the stockings. It sounds horrific  and e on top of all the other pain we have to put up with!.  And how on earth do you bend the knee with thigh high support stockings on?  However, if it does stop DVT and you aren't having the injections, it does seem to be rather important . . . 
    • Posted

As I previously replied I haven't had to wear the stockings for either of my surgeries but for my TKR I did have the daily injections for two weeks 
    • Posted

I was given 3 pairs by the ward TED stockings DVD risk peaks at 10 -14 days but can last for 6 weeks.
    • Posted

In the UK Heparin injections are given for 14 days as standard. Patients are taught to self inject

The support stockings come up to the knee and you sort of get used to them

• Posted

I'm in the US and didn't do heparin, just 325mg aspirin twice a day. I'm 6 weeks out, no problems...
    • Posted

Hi! I'm in the UK and was given blood thinning pills to take for ten days after the operation, plus I had to wear the dreaded stockings for six weeks! When I took the pills I'd wake up every morning with a dreadful headache and I was so glad to finish them! While in hospital I was injected daily with Heparin.

Glenda 57 yrs and 17wks 3days

• Posted

Heparin isn't standard in the UK it really depends where you are, or even what your surgeon wants.  I had the stockingsfrown but another consultant in the same hospital didn't give his patient stockings, we were so envious!
    • Posted

Every surgeon is different. I once worked on elective orthopaedics and there was 6 consultants and we had to emember the pre and post op care for all of them. It was even worse every 6 months when we got the new baby docs. Guess who had to train them. The nurses
  • Posted

Hi I'm 15wks now and never wore them. My surgeon said provided i kept moving my toes etc i didnt need them. No problems
  • Posted

the highest risk for DVT and pumonary embolus is in the first two weeks after the op. The overall risk is less if you had a spinal anaesthetic. Once you are reasonably mobile take them off. 

I wore them for two weeks until I stopped the anticoagulant injections.

• Posted

I never had to wear them either, actually my physio said she didn't think it was a good idea. I sometimes wear a knee brace. I still get a swollen tight knee from the time I put my feet on the floor. It's 11 wks for me. I'm cing itna couple of times a day. It's a terrible winter here in Nova Scotia and I can't get outside to walk like I want to. Good luck in the recovery. I am getting my second one done as soon as he will do it. I might find out on Mon the 23. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.