Tkr 4 1/2 months in ???

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi all, have to ask is anyone near 4 1/2 months into their total knee replacement and still suffering from pain, swelling and stiffness.  Also my healing process seems to be slow. Last week my bend finally got to 107 degrees and my stretch 4. Three weeks prior to that it was 105/6.  I seem to be getting there, but just wondering if it will get better.  I do everything I'm suppose to 1 to 2x a day, feel like I'm consumed with exercises. Can't take nsaids due to other medical issues. Still take those other meds at a low dosage when I exercise.  Finally started driving this past week, that was hopeful.  I get fearful still of having a accident or falling, I use my stick/ cane only when I go out.  It still hurts like h e double "L" when I stretch my knee to as much as I can. I Did hear it can take up to 6 months to a year to fully bend. I just don't know???  I just keep trying to do my best, but some days I go into to that head zone of "what have I done to myself!" Phase.  I don't wish this on anyone.  Im so glad I have found all of you, u have been a god send. My people, I believe Are just tired of me not being the old me anymore, boy if they could just be me for one day. At least I keep trying to smile, have a good attitude and oh yea a good sense of humor helps.  Of all things my teeth started to act up with much pain, has taken over a month and a half to get the proper treatment... Finally had that crown and she found a filling that needed to be done, I said just do It!!!    Ahhhhhhh, I've always had good teeth, what's up?!?!?  Ok the novacaine is wearing off now... I'll leave it at that.  Thanks for any feedback and I pray u all feel better soon! ??????????

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had TKR in April and YES, everything you are going through is 100% normal .

I'm at 120 degrees, but my knee swells up and looks like a balloon after I walk more than normal, it's so stiff in the mornings I feel 100 years old, and stumble around until it loosens up.

You sound like you are right on track.

It takes a while to have all the internal muscles, tendons etc settle down. Give yourself credit where credit is due.

• Posted

Suggestion...  Get a pedometer or FitBit.  Track your steps to see what your current limit is before swelling.  Then increase gradually with no swelling.  The tracker will really help.
    • Posted

great idea chico marx,  ill try anything.  never thought of that.  thanks for all your thoughts, best..... kathy P 

• Posted

hey grammie, thanks for all your thoughts.  it's people like you (and all in the group) that keep me goin.  never and like many most thought in a million years this surgery would have had a recovery process like what im experiencing.  through all your eyes, unfortunately, i am not alone.  yea, i know about the 100 years old thing, but i saw simon cowel just last night and he put a 90+ lady through America's got talent audition (what about me??? ha ha ha).... best regards and health, ... kathy p

• Posted

Same here, i was bragging about how good i was doing, then five days ago my leg went stiff, finding it hard just to get the 90 bend, and more pain then what i had in the first couple of weeks, got me so down and dissappointed, but what else can one do but keep powering on as no other choice, i think the lack of sleep is what puts you on the dark side.
    • Posted

thank you marie for your comments, yes keep up the exercises and i do believe they will get you through. we are all on a long journey, lets just stick together when any concerns or emotions decide to take us over. this is a great place to be,  healing prayers blowing your way, best... kathy p. 
  • Posted

As others have said, it's a long process. A tooth issue on top of everything can feel like the last straw. I had a double whammie 3 months after I had both my knees replaced (otherwise known as a bilateral). First was hair loss...serious thinning, nearly 1/2 my hair was last (maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much - my hair clips didn't have enough to hold onto). And then an umbilical hernia which required surgery. I think we underestimate what this surgery entails. The doctors tell us it's a common surgery and we'll be up and walking shortly after surgery, but they don't necissarily tell us the rest of the story. I'm now 22 months post op and while I would go through it again - the pain prior to surgery and limitations on my ability to walk or stand were horrible - I wasn't prepared for all that was needed in recovery process. I was icing one of my knees yesterday (apparently the knee cap is shot - I thought those were replaced with the TKRs...nope). Keep plugging along, pushing yourself a little very day, resting when you feel the need, keep ice available too. Oh, and Voltaren Gel (Rx needed) is great for helping with some of the pain.

-Mo

• Posted

my dear monandrieu,  you really have been through the ringer.  I hope and pray you are better or on the way to recovery now.  thank you for your story and encouraging words.  i will keep at it, everyone here gives me soooo much strength.  yes, about the doctors (they seem to not let out a lot of the "surgeon" secrets we patients really need to know.  i'll ask my doc about the voltaren gel (good tip).  god bless and all my best, kathy p.

• Posted

Thanks Kathy. I feel like I'm doing great. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? Blessings and prayers back at you!

-Mo

• Posted

You sound ALOT like me?? ! My TKR was March 10, with two manipulations after that! I have had the same issues, though I think I might be getting better a little everyday ?! In the mornings I feel better and strong, but by evening I'm in so much pain and swelling?? . I read stories of people struggling after six weeks but what about after almost 5 mths!! It seems like scar tissue has been my big problem!! Seeing a massage therapist to break it up!!! This forum has been s God send!

• Posted

thank you joy for your words of wisdom.  i guess we were the lucky ones to get the "wisdom"??!!??  i think your right, i do see small improvements each day.  and again i too have the swelling and pain at night, but it eventually all goes away and my mornings end up being ok (good, great, terrifice, awsome, yea!). just a little humor. Yes the forum is a god send, the best actually, i dont know how my crazy thoughts would haved calmed down if it were'nt for these fine people.  you are in my healing healthy happy prayers, thanks, kathy p.

• Posted

Hi and hope my post can assist you to stop worrying pls! I had my bilateral tkr's on Mar 21 so about similar timing to you. Yes, I still suffer some pain and yes, my bend and straighten stats are not perfect. I walk without a limp. My knees are strong and powerful. I am improving a little every week. What about any positives you've experienced? Are you worse or better than prior to op? I could barely travel before. I fell over in Dec 15 in Penang. A kind taxi driver took me back to my hotel and I cut short my visit to Nepal and India. I was a mess. From the gym and walking 5kms daily to a 63 year old cripple. Now life is getting back to what I expected my 60's would deliver. Fit, slim and taking every opportunity to enjoy my time on the planet. Hope you can find some joy and relief! Xxxx

• Posted

thank you lyn, yes i guess its better than post op,  sometimes i just get so "when will this ever stop" talk in my head.  Yes, i am looking forward to my 60's to be a little (lot) more healthy.  Bless you, you have been through soooo much as well.  I lost tons of weight (me thinks maybe too much), totally lost my appetite, working on that too.  I just turned 60, so i'm looking forward to the next 10 to be good ones.  Each day does get better, i can say that.... best and thank you, kathy p.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.