TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have my TKR now 6 months in .. The constant pain has is gone but my new knee still aching from time to time ..Its heavy also i really cant stand for very long also .. When i get up it takes a while to get moving I need the other knee done but I am not even going to go there till I get much better.  I just wonder when i will one day not think O my knees if ever 

Been a very long journey and still ot the end in sight 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hopefully it will get better. I'm one year post op, and apart from a feeling of stiffness there is really no pain left, but I agree, it is a long and hard road!  Regarding the standing, is your knee straight?  although often it is the bend wich is emphasized, getting the extension to 0 is really very important especially for standing.  Befre I achieved it, I found queueing (or standing in line if you're in the USA!) really difficult.  Sorry you have to have the other one done. I am dreading the day that happens to me. So far, it;s OK . . . . rolleyes but who knows!
  • Posted

Hi , I too am 6 moths post TKR and have the very same symptoms as you!!!!!! So I'm guessing it's normal hehheh!!  I'm sure time will sort us out. I'm having my second knee done within the next few weeks, my attitude being that they can both recover together as my old knee is hampering my new one and I'm at the stage where I just want my life back!!!! So it's positive mental attitude all the way for me!!! Well at least till my right knee is done and I go into meltdown again for the first few weeks. But this too shall pass and hopefully Il be on the move come summer in my garden. Good luck and keep smiling 
  • Posted

I found that my knee suddenly felt 'normal' a year after my manipulation (I.e. From when it was straight again).

My second one was not so good, unfortunately,  and the MUA didn't work.  Had it opened again a year after the main operation and struggling with it again coming up to 4 months again.

Straightness is the key, I fear!

• Posted

Hi Delis I'm 10 months left knee, 8 weeks right knee. T. K. R plus new knee caps. It has taken the whole 10 months but Both knees are at the same bend and extension both fantastic. Everyone has said the no two knees are the same my first was so swollen and painful I thought I had done the wrong thing having it done. My second has been fantastic right from start, no swelling not much pain. I can now walk about 8 miles plus with coffee stops. Advice is do exercises rest look after yourself, the result will hopefully be the best thing that you could have done.  good luck and I hope all goes well in the future. 
  • Posted

Hi Delia!

It took longer for me with knee #1 than with knee #2. My surgeries were four months apart.

After Knee #2 was done and I wasn't dealing with that awful pain that I had had for at least five years, I DID begin to sleep better and longer than just an hour at a time.

I am seven months in with #1 and three months in with #2. I can go for long periods without thinking about my knees now, and I have actually been sleeping four, six, and sometimes eight hours pain free. I couldn't remember the last time I slept that long without waking in pain.

There is still stiffness in both of my knees and in other arthritic spots in my body especially after our recent snowstorm here in NE Ohio snow belt which has dumped several feet of snow already and still is blowing and snowing. Weather can be a real issue! Also if I sit watching TV or reading for awhile and try to get up, I know to stretch well first to help lessen the stiffness.

Regardless of any or all issues, I am 100% happy that I went ahead and got my second knee done! It adds a second recovery time, but my second experience was shorter in recovery and less troublesome than my first. I am VERY GLAD to be done and excited to be able to get back to my life again.

Wishing you much success!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.