TKR 5 weeks post op at 43 years old.

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had tkr Aug 23rd. I have done everything I have been asked to do. I have been in so much pain. My range of motion is about 70°, and my knee is often tight. I do therapy at home 2 times a day. I was told that my hamstring is extremely tight. So now my husband rubs the back and front part of my leg daily. I don't know what else to do. I had the better replacement put in my leg. My dr. Said he had my knee bent full range of motion in the operating room. Now I can only get it to go so far. I'm frustrated, getting depressed. And all I do is cry. I am down to 1 crutch. Does anyone have any advice. Please...

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Michelle. I Have the same problem with my knee replacement. My pt gave me.some exercises to help loosen up the knee. Get a small ball about 6 to 10 inches in diameter and stand with your back against the wall. Put the ball behind your knee and push against the ball with your knee. Hold for three to five seconds. Do about 10 reps. You will be surprised how much your knee loosens up.
  • Posted

Don't get discouraged. It will come. Time is a healer for our knees too. Keep doing the exercises and stretches. Your husband is helping too. Were you prescribed a cpm machine? Keep hanging in. It will get better. I had one replaced in May and the other in June. It does get better. Keep busy to keep your mind off it.

• Posted

This may help with expectations and the Post-Op Depression...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

At 5 weeks, you've just begun the journey.  Unfortunately, no one is informed pre-op about the level of pain you will likely encounter nor how long recovery really takes.  Although there are common threads here, everyone's experience is very individual.  Do NOT compare your progress to that of anyone else...ever.

Do your PT and homework diligently...then go to the gym to rebuild your quads, glutes and core...sleep as long as you want...eat healthy (your body needs the energy)...hydrate a lot...take your meds as long as you need to then taper off the opioids (you do not want to be on them any longer than necessary)...and don't take any crap from people who say that you should be better than you are!!!

Be strong in body, mind and spirit.  Yeah, I know it's tough sometimes and that's OK...just never give up on yourself.  Generally, this takes 6 months with lingering effects for another 6-12.  Long road but well worth the journey.  Work hard for 0 / +120...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

Remember, it's NOT a linear path.  There will be advances, setbacks and plateaus...be prepared and take it all in stride.  Especially, keep a sense of humor...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/two-guys-with-canes-limp-into-a-bar--534980

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hi Michelle!

I had very tight hamstrings due to walking with bent legs for about five years. I actually was unaware that I was continually compensating for the horrific pain I was feeling as my cartilage was disappearing and I was walking on knees that were bone-on-bone. I was in a HUGE AMOUNT of denial about the whole knee thing!😲

Walking in such a strange manner was shortening my hamstrings. I didn't know this at the time. I just tried to WALK and KEEP GOING.

When I finally went back to my doctor after a four-year SUPER DENIAL HIATUS, my X-RAYS said loud and clear that I needed both knees replaced.

Fast forward to physical therapy following TKR #1...

I was having a VERY difficult time getting my leg straight! I did toe lifts, leg lifts, work on the Total Gym to strengthen my quads, squats on the Total Gym, balance work, and work on this step which could be tilted in increasing angles to stretch the hamstrings.

I STILL was having real challenges with getting straight legs.

My bend came best when using the bike. It took a number of WEEKS until I could actually pedal to make my feet go all the way around.

I was EXCEPTIONALLY FORTUNATE to have an extremely supportive and caring physical therapist. I told her up front that I would be her hardest-working patient, BUT that I DO NOT respond to sarcasm or being treated roughly. She said that we would do well together because SHE didn't like those things either!💟

I worked hard every session.

SHE kept her word and was VERY encouraging.

She ALSO said that I should remember that I was not only recovering from surgery; I was recovering from five YEARS of walking with bent legs!

I needed to learn how to walk properly again!

Besides the exercises that you normally do, try putting your legs up on a chair or on an ottoman when you are resting, reading, or watching TV. Try to straighten them and flex your quads at the same time. If you are like me, you will only be able to endure this for a few SECONDS at first!😵 Keeping trying about every hour or so. Eventually you will be able to build up the time.

I still do this and flex my quads, too, as I watch TV or read.

For bending practice, several times a day I put one foot on the first step heading upstairs. I hold onto the railing then LEAN INTO a bend and hold the stretch. I let go, relax, and go again. Then I do the other leg.

Stretching throughout the day helps A LOT!😁

I stretch all day long to keep loose and overcome stiffness.

My TKRs were June and October of 2015.

It DOES get better. It DOES take lots of patience.

You will get there!😊🙌😁🙌

• Posted

I had mine done on July 23rd and at the moment can bend mine up to 95 my pt wanted it to go to 105, I said at the moment no way , far too painful, so i am not worrying about it, it will bend eventually . I go swimming, that helps, and i can climb a flight of stairs, very slowly, . So don't get yourself upset, it is still  early days your knee will bend eventually. All these things take time you cannot rush it. My consultant told me 6 months to a year before things get back to normal, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.