TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi. Well I know it's very early days but I had my TKR on Monday (we are now Saturday) and even though my surgeon told me I will hate him for 2-3 weeks I am in the most excrutiating pain. I am now home and find it lessens slightly when I am lying down. HELP!!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You need to rest as much as possible for the next couple of weeks. You will not be sleeping much at night. Easy does it for now.
  • Posted

Hi, I am 5 weeks post op and all I can say is it will get better. Please remember to take your pain meds and ice and elevate as much as possible, and also do your exercises. I was like you at the beginning, even wondering if I had done the right thing, but I seemed to turn a corner at about 3 weeks. It does take time, and everyone is different, but keep coming on here and you will get lots of support.x
  • Posted

Take meds! Elevate and ice knee.walk ever 2 hours even a few steps.it will improve!
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, you are very early days. Keep taking your med regularly on time, do not try to do without them!!  It is harder to get back on top of pain than stay on top of the pain.  rest plenty, ice regularly and elevate your leg too. let others look after everything for you. Get up once every hour to stretch your legs and keep the blood flowing, even just a trip to the bathroom. Drink plenty of water too to flush all the toxins out of your body and more importantly to keep your body hydrated, it helps your body heal too. You will get there, it just takes time, and a lot of patience. Sleep during the day if you need to as I and so many others on here found sleep at night difficult.

​If your pain becomes intolerable ring either your GP or hospital for advice.

​Take care and best wishes for your recovery. xx

• Posted

Hi my op was 7 weeks ago all I can recommend is lots of rest elevate your leg and ice packs take your mess regular and exercise, it's not easy but as the weeks go on I'm doing more and pain is getting less good luck

• Posted

Hey Dawn

Perfectly normal I would say. I have never had as much pain before and I thought I was good with pain. Mine took a good couple of weeks to settle down pain wise.

I am 8 weeks post op and although pain has gone considerably better my knee still swells up like a tree trunk after about 15 mins walking.

How this helps.

Tracey

• Posted

Take pain meds ON Schedule. Staying ahead of pain is the only way to fight it. Rest.....you shouldn't be up doing anything but going to the bathroom. Hydrate......plenty of water around the clock.......this isn't a sprint it's a marathon and you can't tell yourself often enough to keep off you feet and in your seat. Ice it once then ice it twice then ice it once again all the whole elevating. Dont let anyone tell you that you have to punish yourself to make it better . stay with us.....we've all been through it......myself, 11 surgeries and 5 rehabs n9be of which healed the same. We are all different and need to find our best path. Keep tightening the quads and do some very slow and easy leg lifts just for blood flow purposes. You'll be surprised how much better it will be in a week. If your pain meds aren't working.....call you Dr.......even on the weekend. There are dozens of mix and match possibilities and you'll get something to work.

• Posted

Oh, I can remember those early pain wracked days!  Omg how it hurt!  No one prepares you for just how much it will hurt.  Try not to do anything, just stand up and take a few steps each hour, plus trips to the bathroom. Let everyone help you.  Ice and elevate all the time.  My lovely hubby even made me a cage to keep the bedclothes off my foot as the different angle of the foot would trigger pain off in the knee.  But, at around three weeks, I thought I could just see a light over the horizon.  And I could and did.  Just be patient, it won't get any worse, I am 10 weeks now, and apart from a very tidy scar you can't tell which leg was operated on.   Keep posting and we'll keep helping you.   It won't last for ever! 

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I really can't add anymore to what has already been posted on here.  I just want to encourage you to keep coming back here for help as this is a wonderful forum.  I'm 5 weeks out and can tell you the 1st 2 and 1/2  weeks were hell for me.  Then it did start to get better.  Like old fat guy says it is a marathon and you will get better.  Just hang in and do all you are supposed to do, especially your meds.  I still take meds to exercise.

• Posted

Hello Dawn.. I am 4 weeks  in and like you was in great pain, not much sleep, pacing, huge swollen leg, crying etc..certain I would not have my other knee done..worried that I would never be able to bend my knee, at about 3 weeks I become aware that it did not hurt as much. I could still not bend my knee more than 80% which was painful..after seeing the physio and having the most amazing leg massage I have not looked back, one more massage and I will be joining the beginners physio group.. I was so worried that I was not progressing but my mind was put to rest that I was doing ok.. Most of the advise from others is very good.. however I did not rest after the first two weeks, I was walking around the house and garden, I began to sleep on my tummy (on top of a folded over duvet) which is my normal position and manage to sleep about 3 hours each time.. just lay down when you feel like it..we are all different and heal in different ways and time scale..after my dressings were removed my knee was so sensitive I could not bear anything touching it, a thick padded bandage worked wonders..I have make cakes, scones ect..cos I could..not anything like hoovering and am now doing the evening meals.. I walk every day for about 3/4 hours in small walks, Physio says that this is good and helped my progress.. giving you all this info for you to maybe pick out things that you can do.. I thought my pain would never go.. I am now only taking paracetamol every 4 hours..plus the asprin..I also had a mini skate board given to me ( you got to be joking I thought) but  taking it very slow i have found it a very good exercise. ( only indoor not in the street !!! The Works sell them) approved by physio..hope some of this and the advise from others helps you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.