Tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had tkr 11 months ago and i am still struggling with stairs doc says i have a pulled muscle in the back o my. Leg has anybody else had this problem

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Im having the same problem.they sent me for an mri scan but just showed a nerve catching but they think its is nerve damage and gave mepainkilling patches as im petrified of needles.got to try them for 2 wk n if they dont work got to try some tablets.x
  • Posted

Hi

I had TKR on 13th February, 2016 at a private hospital through NHS Direct. It's been an absolute nightmare. I My balance is all out of sorts. I'm walking like a drunk. I am constantly being woken up with pain. It's really knocked my general health  around and i wish i had never had it done. 

I've had countless x-rays and even a bone scan. I think the scan showed up a lot of muscle wastage at the side of my knee. In the meantime, i did seek a second opinion with a consultant at an NHS Orthopoedic Hospitall. Immediately, he saw me he said  that even though the kneee looks perfect on xray, it doesn't  mean to say its perfect for me.

He's now goinng to arrange to give me a 'long needle'  injection to see if there is any deep rooted infection and if that's clear he is going to open up the wound halfway to clean out the residue. 

I did ask the consultant who I saw 'privately' if there was anything he could do further to which he replied. 'Only if you pay for it!"

So don't give up hope. If you are still struggling in a few months, I would seek a second opinion.

• Posted

Oh long needle injection sounds sore mary.my yearly check up is end of June.wel see how that goes.thanks for your reply Mary
    • Posted

he's giving me a local or general i cant remember anymore, my knee has taken over my life!

• Posted

I am 8 months out. I kept telling them that my groin area hurt from the minute I came out of surgery. They told me it was probably siatic nerve issues. Finally got an x-ray last month and it shows that my pelvis has been severely twisted. In other words, this is not a gentle surgery and they are not gentle when they perform it. Suppose to go back to 12 hour shifts on June 15, on cement floors. I can't hardly get out of bed in the morning not because of the knee, but the hip..

• Posted

Stairs are an issue for everyone...and it takes a long time to get that skill back because our muscles have atrophied.  The goal is to go up and down stairs with alternating legs without holding onto anything.  The challenge is strength and balance.

If you have a pulled muscle, let that heal first.  Take some anti-inflammatories and use Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) topically. Great for the pain. Stretch the muscle slowly over the next few weeks.

To do stairs, you have to have your leg strength back...not easy.  Here's an exercise plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

This is another post on stairs...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

This turned out to be a very controversial post as some people on the forum were told THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE method by their PTs.  I was taught this one, it works for me and seems more logical since you are using your "bad leg" first to get to the next step up, thereby engaging the quad and building the strength back.  I don't see how using your "good leg" first and then just dragging the other one behind you does anything to rebuild muscle strength.  But everyone has their own opinion...make your choice.

Hope this helps... 

• Posted

I asked this in a thread, the biggest problem i am having after tkr id pulled muscles in my calves, its so so very painfull, my husband says i do walk different and its as if i have lost my balance, im starting to wonder if thats why im pulling the muscles all the time, the knee is great, i have good days and bad days, its only 7 weeks now since it was done, i dont have any problems if im honest with anything apart from the pjlked muscles, when i asked ghe doc he said it was part of the healing process, bit strange but what can you do
    • Posted

According to our surgeons there is all kinds of normal out there!! Just about every symptom you ask about the response is 'normal'.

The trouble is our gait, which due to arthritic changes, has changed over the years we have 'put up' with pain. Now after TKR we are suddenly walking differently again, but that gait change has happened, not over time, but over night! In time our bodies will readjust to post TKR walking?! That doesn't help in the here & now!!

I am a strong believer in stretching, maybe do some stretches on those muscles which are giving problems!

Alternatively see a Chiropractor, you may need spinal adjustment due to the operation. It is quick & effective! It is amazing how misaligned your spine & joints can be, esp after an operation. And this is SOME operation, more like butchery!!

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.