TKR 6 months....pain on inside of knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I have my right knee replaced in Septemver 14. It was progressing very wlll until a Baker's Cyst burst in my other knee. This caused me great difficulty in walking. This was about 5/6 weeks ago.

Now while this knee is still painful I am finding my 'new' knee to be giving me some serious pain when I move it/walk.

I am concerned now that putting extra strain on my right knee to compensate for my left may have damaged the replacement.

I am flying to Australia next week and am rather anxious.

smile

x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think it would take a lot to damage the replacement.  First I wouldseek medical opinion and in the meantime go back to using a cane to aid walking.  Get an urgent appt before flying as you have a long journey.  I wish you luck x
  • Posted

Hi, it's very unlikely that you have damaged the new prosthetic knee, but because you are travelling I would get them both checked out prior to flying,

if you do go ahead with the trip make sure you get yourself some compression socks, drink  plenty of water,  and get up at least every hour. It's a long haul. I don't envy you, I did the same trip in reverse with a shoulder replacement that was only 4 months old. I couldn't get travel insurance on it as the surgery was under 6 months that worried me but we had no choice as my father in law died in UK. Good luck ..

• Posted

It may have caused muscle strain, inflammation ... try a massage and voltarol. The replacement itself (if made of metal and plastic and cemented in) is unlikley to be damaged unless extreme pressure has been on it - eg parachute jumping! However, if you are really concerned get yourself referred for an xray. 
  • Posted

Not sure that you would actually damage the replacement as such but obviously if you are distributing your weight slightly differently that will affect your replacement knee. Could just be that you will have a bit more pain in it for a bit.

Worth checking this out with your phsio or consultant.

All the best

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you all very much for these replies, maybe I am just a little paranoid as I was doping so well. Am flying tomorrow morning so trust all well. I am sure it will be so thank you all again for your reassurances smile

• Posted

Safe travels, I'm leaving Australia. Tuesday to go to a wedding in Vietnam going for 3 weeks. Depending on where you are going it's still hot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.