TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone felt down after there TKR. I am 8 weeks today, I have been feeling tearful. I can't stop doing housework ect. I think I am trying to prove to myself that I can do things, then get the pain and suffer. Is this normal ?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes Lol. Yesterday my kitchen cupboards were annoying me so I reconfigured 7 of them, threw loads of stuff out and went to a shop and bought wee storage baskets to store inside the cupboards. While I was bending over to wipe the insides I was letting out wee Aaaargh!! I wouldn't give in though. I think we need to push a wee bit then if needed take it easy afterwards

• Posted

Perfectly natural, knee replacement is hard, I’ve had two over the past nine months. I’m 67 and felt 97,inactivity, pain, plateaus wanting to get back to normal, and patience not one of my virtues, we all go through a range of emotions. Stick in there all will be well.😀😀😀😀

• Posted

I'm not patient either, I'm not liking being at home on my own for hours on end. And, I'm putting on weight because I'm not out and about. I used to walk for miles every day in my job. 😞

• Posted

Absolutely!! More so this week getting fed up I think. Didn't help with consultant wanting to wait a further 6 weeks to see if my bend will improve telling me to find will power ( I have will power just need to see something positive). I can't wait to come out the other side of this it

• Posted

Is a nightmare not knowing when it will all be over X 
    • Posted

Don't get fed up hopefully all will be ok. I too can't wait for the pain and swelling to go. Again tonight I have pain in my knee, leg and foot. I have elevated since about 5pm.

I know I have done quite a bit today but I have tried to sit down every hour for a few minutes hoping that would work but no x

• Posted

It's a very Zen thing: "It will be over when it's over."  No one can tell you exactly when.  Just know that all the pain and suffering and struggle decrease over time...gradually.  You rate your progress on a monthly basis...never daily or weekly.  This is NOT a linear process (see the picture) so you have to look back from a distance to see how well you've done.  For almost everyone, this takes a year...period...accept it...own it...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

The problem is that no doc prepares you for this in advance and our minds immediately jump to expectations and timetables that we "should" meet.  Bullpuckies.  No such thing.  Advances, setbacks, plateaus...all part of the game.  Work, time and patience.  Just do it...

• Posted

Another Zensational answer that's right to the pernt, as they would say in Brooklyn..

• Posted

Hi, I’m 8 weeks too, there is no normal!  We all cope differently, for me it was the isolation and boredom, apart from having family around in evenings and the occasional visit from friends I was completely on my own. They also say that some people get depressed because it’s like losing a body part. Now that I can drive it is much improved and I have also asked to go back to work part-time!   

Be positive and don’t over do it!  Best Wishes on your future recovery. 

• Posted

Deb,  I'm only 5 1/2 weeks but I'd say what you're feeling is experienced by many.  I can't wait to clean my home.  I can do small tasks now but not what I'd like to do.  I injured a ligament in my foot by doing a new PT exercise so I am somewhat behind where I should be.  Be careful and don't do what you're not strong enough to do.  Recovering is a long process for a TKR it seems.  Hope you have a better day tomorrow.  

• Posted

STOP STOP STOP. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. That's how people get in trouble o fell the day after my revision and no damage to the jOint BUT, I BROKE my femur. Had I not been so intent on saying "been her e, done that" many of my problems would have been avoided. Slow and steady....let it come to you and I promise it will.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.