Tkr

Posted , 12 users are following.

This might sound silly but me and my husband both work in the same store, he's a manager and that's where we met. I moved in with him and we travelled the 50 mile round trip every day together. He drives, I don't. Anyway at the end of January he's being transferred to another store further away and because of this I'm being transferred to the store where I live now. Sounds good? I'm actually scared in case I fall when I go back to work in 4 weeks. It's a good walk to the bus stop and it fills me with fear because it's so frosty. Has anyone fallen on their knee and not damaged it?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Louise,

My PT told me she has had patients who’s have fallen 2 or 3 days out of surgery and didn’t not damage the knee..  It was extremely painful for them but not damaging.  She said about the only thing that could damage all the hardware in my knee would be a car crash!

Good luck to you and be careful.

Sue

• Posted

I fell backwards in the garden. Didn't fall ON my knee. But device feels mighty strong but withstanding a forward fall on icy concrete? Wear safe footwear.

• Posted

Yes, I'll make sure my footwear will be suitable. Thank you 😁

• Posted

I think quite a few folk have fallen after a TKR and been OK, but it is something we hope to avoid. It is scary, this winter weather - I'm lucky not working at the moment (not so great moneywise though) but we all need to go out at times. My non op knee has arthritis and uneven ground is hard to walk on.

?I've ordered some snow boots and gadgets you clip over soles of footwear to give a good grip, so you can carry those and not get caught out if not in boots. I don't know how effective they will be. I still have a walking stick for outdoors for confidence - don't need it indoors and I've changed the end to one designed to grip on snow.

There are also knee supports which can help if knees tend to give way - all these are to help confidence as that is the main issue, we won't necessarily be any more at risk than others but we definitely don't want to hurt our knees after all we have gone through.

Sounds like confidence is the main issue - if you still have a physiotherapist, they could work on this with you and ensure you are walking fully confident. I have some way to go due to the other knee being weak and sore and the op knee is not fully right either. Maybe you are not really quite ready to return to work yet?

?The weather may be mild and the paths clear by you go back to work. If it is really bad on the odd day, could you treat yourself to a taxi door to door to avoid the stress at first? Once you get going, I'm sure you will be just fine! Best of luck!!

• Posted

I think it might be a confidence thing to be honest. I need to go back to work, my sick pay ends in 4 weeks. my knee feels good though so I think being back to work might be a good thing. It'll give me something else to think about other than knees lol, and all the new friends I'm going to be meeting at the new store 😁

• Posted

Wear boots with really good treads and walk thoughtfully and carefully, and you will be fine, it's rushing about which might cause a fall.

Bestest wishes for your work...it is good to have something to move your focus to other than the knee!

• Posted

Thanks, looking forward to it I think haha. Also maybe lose some of this weight I've put on since my op. 😞

• Posted

As the months go by you will get faster and busier and i am sure it will go!
  • Posted

I havent fallen. Dont want to. Bought microspikes for pulling over shoes. They makes different kinds of pull on traction devices for shoes. I have a pair like chains and this year got the spikes. The ice was so bad last year, my winter footwear wasnt enough! Not taking chances. Would hate a broken bone! My sister fell. Her implants were fine but it messed her up mentally. She is over 3yrs bilateral replacements and she walks like shes 100 yrs old-tiny small steps and thats on a dry clear blue summer day!
  • Posted

Hi Louise, yesterday I fell half way down the hall stairs, ended up on my bottom with my legs up in the air and stuck through the banisters.  It hurt like hell and really shocked me.  I was panting and moaning heavily as I tried to turn round and manoeuvre my leg back through the banister.  I was in shock and thought that this was it, I was frightened to stand on my operated knee in case it gave way.  On making it to the sofa, I found out that all was well and the pain subsided within 10 minutes.  Now I take double the care to concentrate when I descend down.

Why don't you take a walking stick with you when you go back to work, just to give you a bit of confidence and support until you sort your self out.  Good luck anyway.

• Posted

Glad to hear you're OK after that episode. It's not the type of job to go in with a walking stick but I might take it anyway for backup.

• Posted

No, but if your knee does get sore it gives the right message to others and acts as a reminder to others that they need to have awareness that you are not 100%...

That might be helpful...people assume so much and need reminding that it was a major op!

• Posted

You are so right Jenny. I feel guilty and for what? I used to feel sometimes that my work colleagues didn't believe how bad the pain was but I suppose unless you feel it too you'll never know. X

• Posted

Thanks Jenny, all seems fine today and I have been out walking with my stick , I think the new knee is stronger than we think.  Regards Janet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.