Tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Thanks for all the info. It helps to know that I'm not the only one with pain, this far after surgery.I have considerable pain on the inside of my right knee ever since the surgery which is now 10 weeks. I had also pulled the tendon on the outside of my knee 4 weeks ago, in PT, but that finally seems to be healing. That knocked me back 3 weeks of therapy because that pain was so intense. My bend is at 135, amazing to all, but my straight is only 15. It takes at least 15 minutes to straighten my leg in the morning and I can't walk without holding on to something when I

get up.My worse pain comes at night. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to prescription meds so naproxen is all I can take and that doesn't do much at all. I just got a bike and a stabilizer and spend 15 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day on it. I walk a lot, but somedays that makes it worse. I get frustrated because I can't get down to do things. I just turned 70, but look and act like 55. I was very independent until now and have to depend on my kids to do so many of the things that I could do just 6 months ago. Depression is also something new for me along with 5 out of 7 sleepless nights. I know healing takes time, but 5 weeks ago I stopped using my walker and a week later I stopped needing my cane. Now my cane is with me again. It seems I traded in pain for severe pain and the thought of 9 more months of this..... I want to play golf and garden by March.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you are doing amazing your regime seems quite harsh I would go for less and stop working it soo hard. You might have less pain. This is my second leg TKR. I decided not to push too hard this time and I'm finding the paìn level is healthy and I could if I wanted do without If wanted. I'm 3 weeks post TKR. The other leg I pushed and was on regular painkillers for at least 6 months. I rather take longer. And this time I'm not crying. Gòod luck keep us informed xxx

• Posted

I know exactly what you are going thru. I am having very similar problems although I am only 4 weeks in. I still spend every night in my recliner and although I am able to take pain meds they don't do much to numb the pain and my dr won't give me anything else and is very strict about how much he will let me have.

We just have to hold on and trust that with time all will be better and hopefully worth all the discomfort we've had to endure. Everyone I've talked to that have went thru this has said it was the best thing they've ever done.

Hope you find some relief soon, until then just know your not alone and it Will get better. Maybe you'll even pick up a few more yards on your drives since you'll be able to turn without pain again. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Marilyn sounds like you're beating yourself up a bit. 10 weeks may sound like a long time but it isn't for a knee replacement. I'm 48 and 13 weeks post op today and I still haven't been able to go back to work yet because my knee isn't ready to. I have a straight leg but my flexion is lucky to reach 90 degrees I'd do anything to reach 135!! I think your knee is telling you to slow down a bit and keep using your walking aids for now if it helps keep the pain and swelling at bay. My mood changed the other week when I went to see my doctor so she started me on amitriptyline which has really helped with my mood and sleeping at night. 

So Marilyn please listen to your knee if it's sore rest it, build it slowly, to improve extension sit down with your foot on a coffee table or chair and rest a weight on your knee and use gravity to help straighten it. I use ankle weights but you could use an oven glove and put tins in it either side of your knee. 

One day you'll be back on the golf course teeing off and doing your garden. It's still early days just be patient x 

• Posted

Hi, you seem to making pretty good progress although you are not feeling it. I think many of us are shocked post op when we find out just what a marathon recovery this is and how painful and frustrating at times. I've reached 9 months post op still with some knee stiffness, aches and pains, but the consultant has reminded me what a massive invasive surgery this is, so while we all heal at a different rate, some setbacks are to be expected at times, some of us have a harder time than others as the knee is so complex. Not many years back, surgeons used to avoid knee surgery unless a last resort, now that knee replacements are common and have improved, we expect a lot from them.

?If you are exercising quite a bit, pain can sometimes be an indicator to cut back a little and do more elevating and icing of the joint perhaps. We are told to push through the pain but we can sometimes forget it is the body's way of self protection and reminding us to rest between times.

?Being determined to get back to doing things you enjoy is a good motivator and keeps us going when the going gets tough. Take care!

• Posted

Marilyn,

I agree that you may be doing too much. I am 70 yrs young and 3 months post tkr. I completed all my PT and have joined a gym to keep exercising. I still have ROM pain and swelling in my entire leg. A friend of mine who is a PT suggested I get some “lymphatic massages” and they have helped tremendously!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.