TKR 7 WEEKS waiting to go for pain management

Posted , 7 users are following.

7 weeks today since TKR and this last week has been horrendous the tightness around my knee is getting worse x rays are normal and I'm struggling with the exercises hospital is referring me to pain management clinic. doesn't even look swelled or red can't understand what's happening feels as though I've got plaster of Paris on it or a vice I'm elevating ..icing ..warm baths pain killers not doing anything has any one else had this need some advice please

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Eileen, so sorry to hear this.  I hope they can help you with the pain!!!!!  I hope someone on here can help too!!!!
  • Posted

Hi it's still early days, i am 14weeks post op the tightness is still there. At present I am on holiday in Spain and I thought a bit of sun would help but not alot of difference. Keep your chin up it does get easier. Haha. X

• Posted

Hi. Just entered my 8th week. Last week I hurt all over, couldn't bend my knee, and cried for no reason. I went to my dr Monday and he said I was doing well. He had his own knee replaced two years ago.

He checked how straight my leg was and when he started to bend it back I winced even before he moved it much. He laughed and said it hurts doesn't it. I remember that too. Don't worry it will get better. You're still swollen at 7 weeks, the knees still mad. If you still have that tightness we can go in and clean up some scar tissue it's not a big deal. When I asked him why it hurt so much he said, probably scar tissue and your knee is still swollen. Remember what we did to it? It's mad.

Hang in there Eileen. Today I feel great maybe tomorrow I won't but we have to have patience. You do need your pain controlled better though. I take two 50mg Tramadol and Tylenol. I'm weaning myself off the Tramadol.

• Posted

Hello Duckfan! Question: is Tramadol a anti inflammatory? I'm 10 weeks out from my TKR. The nurse at the Dr said no more percocet but maybe Tramadol.. should I buck up and get an RX for it??? I'm only using percocet for painful PT. That force bending is BAD.. I cry alot in therapy.

Eileen, I still have the tight band feeling. But it is getting better each week I go. Prayers yours will too. You are def. Having that rough...

• Posted

Tramadol is a painkiller. It's in the opiate family but not as addictive. Guess the withdrawal is bad but my doctor says to do it very slowly. I can't take the anti inflammatory drugs. They make my heart skip beats. I guess there are lots of painkillers on the market so talk to your doctor.

• Posted

I can't take tramadol causes vomiting and dizzy spells was laid up in bed for 2 days after I had taken them. I'm taking co codamol and ibuprofen it's not so much pain it's the tightness every minute of the day and night

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear this Eileen it's 15 weeks now for me TKR it's only 10 days ago that I feel that's when I felt it was getting better exercises are the answer to beating pain daft I know best after a hit shower I'm still taking codeine an paracetamol together every four hours but started going for walks last week I bought a fitzip OK IT WAS ONLY 250 STEPS LOL 😁😁😁the first day but now up to 4,000 steps yesterday YEAH and climbed local steps 28 up with my operated leg first the tightness is still there but not as bad and yesterday cut my painkillers down so I think my days of crying and wishing I hadn't had the operation are over So hang in there I'm sure you will in the future be as good as me xxxx💖💖💖

• Posted

Eileen, I am 12 weeks out and still have so much tightness in the knee. I can also feel the appliance and have a clicking in the back of my knee from a tight hamstring . It is so annoying. I think the tightness lasts for quite a long time! Before Igo to PT I use heat on the knee which helps to loosen things up. Then I ride my bike for 5 minutes before I leave. I do all the exercises with no problem. The pain has gotten better and sleeping better also. Hope you can do the exercises and get help at pain management. This surgery is definitely a struggle every day, but everyone says there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong!
    • Posted

7 weeks post op PT have been once to my home just to see how I'm doing that was 4 weeks after surgery then I go next week to see them which will be 8 weeks post op. im expected to follow PT from a piece of paper that was given when I left the hospital lol so no one even shows us whether or not it's right what we're doing

• Posted

Eileen, have a look on you tube at some of these exercises, if you're unsure.  I think most of them are on there.

• Posted

Sounds like scar tissue..will take some serious breaking up with a trained physio in cupping. But it can work!
    • Posted

Yes that's what I was thinking hope it's not though thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.