TKR advice

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone,im 52 and having a TKR in a few weeks time,i have been offered a device that goes over the toilet to help me during my recovery and i feel a bit embarrassed about getting it..Is it really beneficial to have one of these things,feeling very nervous about the op too..Thanks

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Take it! I needed to buy one. Your knee will only be able to bend so much. The device on the toilet will allow you to sit and stand with more ease. I had both knees done, I even had a handicap bar placed next to my toilet and one in my shower. Both have been very useful.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice te8549,just not sure what to do right now..x
    • Posted

I got a raised toilet seat and I am glad i did. When you cone home from hospital being embarrassed will be the least of your worries. I couldnt have managed without it in the early days.
  • Posted

I am also 52 and nearly 4 wks post PKR I don't think you need anything to go over the toilet really I just pushed myself up using the seat and the wall or in hospital just the seat....Once stood up just use the crutches...its surprising what you can do although at first it's hard going....good luck
    • Posted

Thank you sarcee50, very helpful i think i will leave it as my bathroom is quite small as it is...hope your healing nicely x

• Posted

My bathroom is also very small, so I too refused the offer. I held on to the toilet door handle, both for easing down & getting up!! (it is exactly opposite the loo). I ended up having muscle ache in the arm - muscles I hadn't used for quite a while I guess!!
    • Posted

Thanks veronica,thats what im thinking,as my bath is right next to the loo and it should be a big help.
    • Posted

Our bath is also very small.  Had it not been for the pedestal sink right next to the toilet I'm not at all sure how I would have gotten up or down.

One day, forgetting I had the knee surgery (I know, strange, huh) and in a hurry to "go" I sat on the toilet as usual.  What excruiating pain in that knee when it bent.  But....in the long run, it was probably good for me.  Couldn't have convinced me that day though!

• Posted

Yes sometimes I wish something like that would happen! Its really hard to inflict agony on yourself isnt it but if it happens, you just have to cope.
    • Posted

I did something similar going downstairs.  I missed the bottom step and my knee bent regularly, instead of the cautionary way I had been treating it.  WOW, did that hurt!  My physical therapist told me these things were probably the best things that could happen to me.  Stretched out, bent, and even torn loose some of the scar tissue happening.
    • Posted

Yeah Ill bet you were thrilled!!! I'm trying to come down steps but it really is a killer isnt it
    • Posted

Yep, going up the stairs, not so bad, but that downstair bit is so different!  The instant it happened out came my good for everything words (oh, sh%t).  After I recuperated some I made the comment I bet that was actually good for me, and sure enough, the PT confirmed that.
  • Posted

I'd take it, I found it very helpful and easier than trying to push up from the toilet seat or wall....... But each to their own. 

Please dont worry about the op, it is hard going at first but so worth it in the end 

good luck 

• Posted

Oh, by all means, receive it with gratitude.  You will be so happy you did!  Getting down and up from the toilet was most difficult the first couple of weeks at home!!!
  • Posted

I'm 44 years old hen Antonio replacement on January 8th 2015 I was kind of embarrassed about getting one too but I still use it it's well worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.