TKR and exercise knee

Posted , 12 users are following.

good morning , I. Know I have chatted to lots of you on here, and many are talking about exercise bikes etc . I was discharged from my physio around 6 weeks as she said I was doing so well. But I had no bike.  I have just been firmly first exercise walk ,20 mins just walking around the street .i tried  to keep brisk., I did take one stick , just in case but carried it part way .

i had no pain , but I was exhausted by the end . I think I am just now unfit .my aim is at least once a day walk pref two . Please feel free to nag me ,I need to get fit and lose 10 lbs .how us everyone else coping with the walks ?

pam 13 weeks 

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

i don't have an exercise bike but I looked in the Argos catalogue earlier in the year, when I had my arthroscopy, and found a small pedalling machine that sits in front of my chair. It was only about 30 GBP and has variable friction. It has been useful to have around as I can just put it in front of my chair while I watch TV and pedal away without thinking about it for 20-25 minutes.

if you are in the uk maybe this would be of use to you as well.

• Posted

Sounds good as I only get to use the bike once a week. Online Argos and e bay here I come.
    • Posted

Just bought a pedaling machine from Amazon Prime, £21, due tomorrow. Good reviews from fellow TKR's. Thanks for the tip.
    • Posted

What pedaling maching did you get ? , the reviews sound quite good 
  • Posted

Hi Pam, I hadn't done any walking other than from physio to the hospital cafe, about 100 mtrs and wasn't inspired by the thought of walking just round the block. Yesterday however my son drove us to the beach and I said I would walk a little way with them and then go back. Well, being very stubborn I just kept walking. I was very glad of both sticks by the end but walked for an hour. My knee was swollen when I reached home but lots of ice and another decent night's sleep helped. I seem ok today but will just rest. So,I would say if you are in little pain keep walking, as far as possible.
  • Posted

Hi Pam

Im now 6Months post op now and Im walking miles without pain albeit i do have to stop and rest at intervals . Initially whilst having physio i did use an static bike, twice daily for 30 mins. My physio was really good and gave me objectives each week so i went on a mission to ensure i completed them. The outcome was great as at 10 weeks i had a 140 bend. You have to push yourself through the pain..no pain no gain! 

My knee took over my life and i thought about it everyday. Now at 6 months i don't think about it as much and its not forever on my mind. I can do most thinks now but still struggle with kneeling. Some people tell me we will never kneel again, i don't like the words " never or can't " so i am concentrating on kneeling now. I would suggest you do use the bike start with 5 mins a time ensure you cycle a full turn and build up your time. Give yourself goals each day and if you complete them extend them each day.

Hope this helps and keep up with the good.

• Posted

Hi there, I am 9weeks and only had 2physio sessions because I was doing so well, that was at 5weeks. Like you I feel my knee has taken over my. Life. I am sleeping better, doing housework and shopping without any aids. So why am I so down and weepy for most of the timr?i haven't been on the bike yet but will give it a try tomorrow. I tried to have a bath yesterday I am fed up with the shower, but couldn't manage to sit down in the bath, was afraid I wouldn't be able to get up again, so had another weeping session, I want so much to be myself again but is it ever going to happen. At 6months do you feel as though you have your life back pegs or are you still a little apprehensive ? Take care with love from tucks.
    • Posted

Hello, it was very encouraging to read that you are walking miles now with no problem. Walking is really the only exercise I get, so it was discouraging when my knee got so bad and kept me from doing it, and especially not being able to keep up with my daughter who loves to power walk, long walks on the beach, etc. You give me hope! smile

The question I have regarding the exercise bike - is that more for the purpose of helping to bend the knee? I was able to bend my knee quite well early on, but my problem is not being able to straighten it entirely, which makes walking still a little painful & I still limp slightly. Which exercises are best for knee straightening besides the regular ones the therapists give you ( quad sets, leg lifts, etc) Is walking better for straightening opposed to the bike?

Thanks for listening - I'm 12 weeks post op on Tuesday 

• Posted

I'd be interested in replies to this question too as I have the same problem as you, Betty. I can more or  less straighten the leg and the physio is pleased with it but I don't think it's quite there as I get the pulling (and pain) in the back of the leg when walking. I don't know if the bike helps or not with this. I find it hurts in the same place when I start to cycle but does ease up a little as I go on. I find the stretching exercises help the most. Put your heel on a stool, leg straight, then bend forward and feel the stretch at back of thigh. Also, sit on chair with foot on another chair, leg straight, and pull knee down and hold for 30 seconds. I was also given the one with leg overhanging bed from knee down, weight round ankle and let gravity pull leg down. I stopped doing that one though as it hurt my back. I think I'm improving one day but then the awful tight pulling in the muscles is back again. So frustrating. So I wonder too if I should increase the walking. Will that help to strengthen the muscles? Any views? 

Jen - 12 weeks post op. 

• Posted

That was my problem earlier on . My physio suggested laying on my tummy on the bed , the bed edge coming the knee and the lower legs hanging over the edge . It.  Us others comfortable so just do a minute to start.and build up . Also massage the whole knee with oil including the back of the knee . Kay on the bed push your knee hard into the bed and. Then point and pull your ties up keeping back of knee flat on the bed . Worth a try x good luck .

BTW my 20 min walk is not miles lol  Pam 13. Weeks 

• Posted

Thanks Pam & Jennifer. I will try the bed exercises, lying on my stomach. I've also done the one putting my foot on a stool and letting the leg hang, but it's so uncomfortable that I avoid it. Need to force myself if I hope to see improvement!

My therapist said when I'm walking, walk heel to toe, stretching the leg, so I try to focus on that. Seems there is so much to think about, just going for a routine walk, ha. ( I also have to remember to keep leg out, rather than turning it in like I used to)

Have a nice evening ladies.

• Posted

I think it must do . I just feel I need to get fit.the weight is creeping up so I am hoping walking will help it all 

Pam 13 weeks 

• Posted

Hi Betty,

The Bike has two purposes, yes it helps with the bend for the knee, but most importantly it strengthens your muscles in youe leg, which will help with the straightening. Your Physio sounds really goos Betty and her/his advice is really good, walk to heal and straighten is good advice. Another one i did was to stand with your "good leg" tretched out on the 2nd step of your stairs, and try bending your "operated knee"as far down as you can go!! Walking is the best excersce in my opinion! I had my Operation in March, and i never thought it would get better, never thought id would get back to normal, but believe me 6 months down the line i DO feel normal again,,, ok i know its still repairing inside and i still do get tired out, but i an back in work, i walk for miles, i have even been out dancing (which i really didnt think i would do again) I can  run with the dog in the park although its only a trot as appose to running, but its more than i could do. Generally in my experiance the 1st 4 months is the worst then it just happens, you start to feel normal again. Keep up with walking and try walking faster and faster, but watch your step, keep looking at where your walking as a fall wont be good either. Please let me know if i can advise any more.

Take care

• Posted

I have to remember to turn my foot in as I was doing the opposite .. So it's walking back straight feet straight lol . It will be worth it . For a year or more I had been walking really bent over and limping , with so much pain. This is a definite improvement Pam 13weeks 
    • Posted

Thank you Pegs girl for all that wonderful information! Now that I know the bike is so beneficial for strength & straightening and not just for bend, I will put as much time and effort into it as I do walking!

I so appreciate your encouraging words and know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I want to get a dog now, to run around the park or beach with smile

Thanks again and so happy you are recovering so well!!

• Posted

What wise, encouraging words pegs, so I haven't got too far to  for the magic time to come, hooray, take care and thank you.
    • Posted

Thanks so much, Pegs. I think I'll try to increase my times on the bike. How long did you do on the bike? Did you keep up the exercises as well? It's all so time consuming isn't it? I wonder whether to just do a few of the exercises that I think are most beneficial and do more on the bike. I also aim to increase my walks this week (weather permitting). I hope I can be as good as you at 6 months 😊 Jen (12 weeks) 
    • Posted

I have all the same questions as Jennifer! How long are we supposed to do the exercises we were sent home with? Just the ones we feel most beneficial? I realize walking & biking and generally staying active is for life, but wondering how long we are supposed to do the other exercises. They are indeed time consuming! My surgeon told me pre op the exercises would be a full time job, but did not say for how long.

• Posted

This to you all, My dog really helped me as i also had a reson to go out!! Im not suggesting you all go and buy a dog.. ha ha, but having her was adual purpose, it got her out and built up my confidence going out on my own, my poor dog would look at me when i got her lead, as if to say "oh not again". The bike i have to admit was soooo boring, and hurt my backside!! So i padded my bottom, turned on the tv, and cycled through Jeremy Kyle in the morning, then loose women in the afternoon, sad arent i, but watching the tv and cycling took my mind of the bike, one day on the meter i had done 15 miles!! could move let alone walk when i got off it mind!! I continued and still do with my excercises, the more you give your knee the better it becomes in my opinion!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel believe me, someone on here today, mentioned turning the foot out when walking i also did that, apparently our brain makes us do that its like a defense mechanism, i also had to think about my foot and make sure i kept it straight in front. If you have a bath at home, have a good deep soak and do some bending in there also, that really helped me. Good luck guys, im here if you need any more help 
    • Posted

I have just been awared a badge for being helpfull from this site!! How cool

• Posted

Thank you so much Pegs for all the information today! I came home to 40 emails from following posts on TKR forum and today a lot were negative...not good when you are only planning the first knee early next year. But I know it needs doing and won't get better on it's own. Moved to a flat with a lift 4 years ago to avoid stairs that were too painful and walk in shower as IF I could get in a bath I couldn't get out!!! 

But it your posts today have really given me hope that I can do this. I don't have a dog, unfortunately, but I do have a wonderful partner who will do everything he can to help me get through this. I am making notes of all the good stuff from everyone that will help and intend to get through this!

You fully deserve your badge for being helpful!! Thank you.

kind regards,

Gill X

• Posted

Ah thank you gill. 

I turned to this webpage at the beginning of my journey and got with negative and positive advice. I homed into the positive and try to understand the negative ones,  i decided to then turn the negatives into positives. We all have different pain thresholds and i won't deny its painful at 1st. The early months are hard. What i have continued to say is the pre op advice om my hospital was fantastic.  They enroll you in a joint school and have all the professionals on hand to discuss all your fears, however nobody advised on the physiological effects of this operation but that said how could they, they have not had it done to them. So this forum for me helped me so much in the early stages. So now i feel i can repay that advice back being " old hand" now..Im 6 months post op .

Family play a big part so if you have a great partner then that will make a massive difference to your recovery.

Just stay strong and positive .

Pegs 

• Posted

Hi Pegs, You're right on the importance of family and also the help from others on this site. I am amazed how people who post on bad days come back a day or so later with something positive. It certainly is a long, slow recovery with ups and lots of downs but advice from people like you who have got through the bad days is invaluable. I'm going to get on my bike tomorrow 😊😊 Thanks again, Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.