tkr and sciatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a TKR almost 3 weeks ago.  I am doing very good except for a couple of issues.  I have developed sciatica issues on that same side that will not go away.  I have used heat, cold, creams, pain relievers, and some added stretching exercises with my PT.  Nothing seems to give me relief.  Any suggestions?  Also, I am wondering what type of oil or cream I can use on the incision itself to smooth out the rough edges that seem to want to scrape against anything I wear or when I am asleep.  Thanks so much for your help!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

I, too, suffer from sciatica. It started many years before my TKR, went away for awhile AFTER my surgery and comes back periodically. Like you I try all kinds of things!

I have tried to figure out what it is that brings it on again. I also have tried to figure out what causes it to GO AWAY for awhile! HAVEN'T A CLUE on that one!

I use Ibuprofen for my arthritis pain. That helps the sciatic nerve pain, too. IcyHot roll-on is a go-to method for me, but stretches aleve my pain better than anything else.

Here are my favorites:

(I am actually doing them now as I am typing this on my phone!) Lay on your bed on your back.Stretch your legs out as far as they will go. Point your toes and press the backs of your legs into the mattress. Lengthen your legs even more, tightening your quad muscles and your glutes as well. Hold this for a count of ten. Release and relax. Do this as many times as it takes to begin to feel relief.

Next, take the leg with the sciatica and cross it over your body so that you are doing a spinal twist. This gives me IMMEDIATE RELIEF by taking pressure off that sciatic nerve. I often stay in this position and have drifted off to sleep while in it because it relieves that pressure so quickly.

Try these and let me know if they help YOU! I came up with them by chance, but they really have helped when my sciatic nerve decides to roar back in ANNOYING FURY!😵

• Posted

I will definitely try these. Last night I actually slept 7 hrs but woke up so stiff I'm not sure it was worth the extra rest😟.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.