TKR and spinal block

Posted , 22 users are following.

HI everyone,

i'm having my knee replacement in 10 days time and have been advised on friday it will be by spinal block and a sedative.I'm a little nervous of having it done this way although it looks like the recovery time ect is much better.has anyone had their op this way and if so how was it..many thanks

3 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lou.  I had mine 4 weeks ago and was petrified of the spinal.  But like everyone says on here it was good and no problem at all.  One thing which I think helped me was listening to an hypnotherapy/deep relaxation track for a few weeks before. Then, when they were putting the needle in I was able to breath and relax and it really was easy!

Good luck with your op - there are lots of good people on here who will give you some great advice and lots of support when you need it.

• Posted

Hi Lou, I had a bilateral TKR in March using a spinal block and sedative and didn't know a thing about it, only woke up once for a minute it so. I was scared and nervous also but it was great, one thing tho, ask for a catheter lol my surgeon doesn't use them and it wasn't nice ☺️

Good luck x

• Posted

Forgot about the catheter - the nurses couldn't understand why the surgeon didn't write me up for one -  I agree the bed pan is not nice!  If I had known what it would be like I would have asked for one.
    • Posted

I assumed I would get a catheter and didn't get one. The bed pan is horrendous x will def ask gor one if I get other knee done !
  • Posted

Not to worry. There is nothing to it. I had both a spinal block and general. I didn't know the doctor had done the spinal, til I slid into the doctor who was standing in front of me. They had me sit on the edge of the OR table, while a doctor behind me did the spinal...hence the doctor standing in front of me, so I wouldn't fall on the floor. I vaguly remember being laid back on the table. Next thing I was in my room and feeling fine. The doctor came in and asked me if I could feel my toes yet. I said yes and he said good.  (I am now 8 weeks PO)
  • Posted

Hi Lou, spinal is the only way to go. I had a hip replacement in Dec and bilateral TKR 5 wks ago both by spinal.  You wake up after the op from the sedative really lucid with no ill effects like you can get from a General.  You will have no feeling in your legs for several hours after which is a very odd sensation, but also helpful in masking the post op trauma to your knees.  The femoral drip into your thigh is also brilliant for post op pain relief.  I really had no serious pain at all during my hospital stay after my knees - which totally amazed me. (I was expecting much worse) 

Good luck Lou. Hope all goes great. 

alison

• Posted

Hi Lou I had TKR on 19th May and was down for general anaesthetic . On the day anaesthetist told me pros and cons and zi opted for spinal . I can thoroughly recommend it. You are totally free of osin for several hours after op , by which time the oral painkillers have started to kick in and you have no nasty side effects. I was sat having tea and biscuits soon as I got back on ward , others who had general we're nauseous for couple of days Only thing was physio couldn't get me up 4 hours after op as foot was still numb and couldn't move toes so that had to wait till following morning and I had to use bed pan first night rather than commode but I was home on third day ! But I will def do it again if I need other knee doing. Good luck Linda
  • Posted

yes lou I had exactly the same and I was petrified but I told them I was petrified and I slept right through cos of the good sedative. it was FANTASTIC. I woke as they were gluing my knee or they woke me lol and of course NO pain. Just make sure that as SOON as you feel your knee you ask for pain killers as they taje a while to kick in. Good luck and keep in touch. P.S. whereabouts are you??
    • Posted

Thanks Andrea,i feel so much better reading yours and everyones comments, not long now until it gets done 1st of july..im in Ellesmere port,Cheshire..x
    • Posted

Not too far from me im in West Yorkshire!!!!@ Good luck ul be fine and just in time for some nice summer weather - well hopefully lol
  • Posted

I had mine done that way it was fine they did the spinal took me into the operating theatre one minute I was talking to the doctor and the next thing I knew it was all over they took me back to the ward and I had a cup of tea and a sandwich 
  • Posted

Yes I had TKR done like this 3 years ago. Extremely successful. It is so much easier than having an anaesthetic. They put a sheet over so you cannot see what is going on with your knee. I did feel sick during operation but nurse was able to give me something to help with this.

I would recommend it to anyone.

The only thing was I did a huge wee shortly afterwards and had an accident with this because I still could not feel. But the nurses were very nice and changed me straight away, they are so used to this aren't they?

Good luck

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah x

• Posted

I had that twice and they had to change the bed started going and couldn't stop 
    • Posted

I had totally forgotten about the wee experience ! I think I must have totally blocked it from my mind ,If someone had told me about the chance of this happening prior to my op I would have been really uptight about it, when it happened I was still "under the influence" and was not at all fazed, it just did not seem to matter,there were 4 of us on my ward and all of us  had the same thing, 
  • Posted

I had tkr with spinal block 11 weeks ago, like you I was very aprehensive (ie terrified) I asked for and was given, sedation and slpt right through the entire op.The only thing I wish I had known was how long it would take for the feeling in my legs to return ( about 12 hours) I was up and moving very quickly. Do not be scared honestly the thought of it is far far worse than the actual thing.Hope all goes well for you and look forward to hearing from you when you surface. Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks Dotty,that sounds like a dream and i would be more petrified of a general so thanks for your input,i will indeed keep you all posted along the road to recovery xx
    • Posted

Lou.... Either way, the 1st thing you need is trust. Trust in the anesthesia group and the the surgeon then the rehab group. If you go in with doubts you will have problems. The mental part of the game is huge as you will find out. Stay positive as it's a day to day progression and it isn't a straight direct point A to point B direction. Just don't get discouraged on the days you seem to have a back slide......it just proves you are human.
    • Posted

I have complete trust in my surgeon,he is excellent and im so lucky to get him,also im going into this with a positive attitude,but i do know there will be bad days and better days...and hopefully at the end of it all  i will be able to walk again without this horrible pain everyday ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.