Tkr and travelling

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone im new to the group,but i wanted your opinion on travel,im due my TKR in five weeks and 8 weeks after that im booked to go on holiday to Belgium by car ferry.for a week...do you think this will be possible or should i maybe think of cancelling,,thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You may be able to do it . .I don't think I would have wanted to face this sort of thing at eight weeks though. I am ten weeks . . .walking OK, driving (automatic car) finding sleep impossible, exercises still taking up a lot of the day.  A lot depends on what this holiday involves. If it's going to be a lot of driving, sitting in a car for long periods etc. it isn't going to be a lot of fun probably . .if it's just getting there by car, then staying in one place where you can carry on with your recuperaton,I  suppose it would be possible, provided your recovery goes well, and you have someone with you for moral support!  .  I wouldn't have wanted to do it, but and I am an inveterate traveller (round the world twice, 56 countries. . . . . ) but this has clipped my wings!
    • Posted

Thanks for that,im feeling really apprehensive about going so will think on it  ...you just dont know how your recovery is going to go..
  • Posted

I honestly think that it's a bit optimistic 8 weeks after TKR.  You may well have problems with stairs (not ideal on a car ferry) and you won't want to be unsteady on your feet if the sea is rough.  You will also be uncomfortable sitting in the car for long periods of time and may have trouble standing/walking comfortably.

everyone is different though!  I am still having problems with my 2nd TKR 6 months on and have just had a manipulation this last weekend.  I still can't straighten my leg fully and had similar issues with my other leg.

probably best to wait and see how you feel when you come out of hospital.

patsy

• Posted

Hi it would depend on how you come through it.  I know I couldn't have faced a holiday going in a car for that long.  I think it is a decision for you to make.   
  • Posted

Hi Kate, It will be fairly early days 8 weeks after your op but if all goes to plan it is doable. Are you driving?(I would not advise you to drive so far at that stage. If you are a passenger, I would say it should be ok as long as you allow for plenty of stops so that you can stretch your legs. Good luck!

• Posted

Welcome ! I am at 8 weeks and while traveling (by car) as a passenger has slowly become a bit less painful I don't venture too far or for very long drives. I have pulled over just to stretch out my legs and that seems to help a bit. Everyone is different and having a trip to look forward to will keep you motivated and help to keep your eye on the goal! Good luck with your surgery!
  • Posted

I think you would really be pushing it but people are different.

I had TKR nearly 3 years ago so it is difficult to remember that far back, but I would certainly have struggled doing this at 8 weeks. I went on holiday after 12 weeks but that was not abroad and I hesitated at that.

• Posted

I am at just over eight weeks and although I am getting on well with most things, I think that journey would be too much. I am driving but only short  journeys  currently, as a passenger it is getting easier but even sitting down normally I have to keep getting up and stretching my legs. I had to do an hours journey not long after my op , for a funeral, I was so glad to get home , the next day I was so tired.   I am desperate to travel again, love going away, but I am going to wait until end of May I think. 
  • Posted

Well Kate I'd re think My hubby is at 8 weeks today and doing fantastic but to think about doing mega amounts of travelling I know he would have a go but whether he would get any enjoyment out of it is another matter. His OPD is not till nest week and thats 2hour journey and I'm already planning plenty of stops to have a rest and stretch for him.

But you need to listen to your own body don't plan to much,

• Posted

Thanks lesley,im thinking along those same lines,everything could go brilliantly and there again it could not,and im not good company when im in pain and grumpy...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.