TkR blues!

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone. Sorry to be a pain. But feeling really low and tearful tonight. Dreading going to bed as no matter what position I put my leg in I just can't get comfortable and if I do manage to nod off then I wake about an hour later to try and get comfy all over again! I know it's still early days for me. 16 days post op. But today the exercises etc have really got me down. The muscle above my knee is so painful only manage a couple of knee raises before I have to stop and then only move about 2 inches! I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that things will get better in time. Feel lonely and isolated. Sorry to be a misery.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jayne,

As the others have said before me, you will get through this difficult stage. Ensure you bolster your body and leg for maximun comfort and ice the knee regularly to get the swelling down. Do the best you can with your exercises, ease of movement will progress with time and practice.

My surgery's a bit different to yours; I had a patella relocation, lateral release, arthroscopy and capsulorrhaphy. I was in a straight leg brace for two weeks and just when the brace came off and I could move the leg to get comfy enough to finally get some sleep; I got a really bad cold that kept me up all night coughing. I was so tired and emotional it was ridiculous! I don't even want to talk about the whole toilet experience with a straight leg brace!

I was off crutches at 5 weeks and I was also driving again at 5 weeks. I found swimming to be the most pleasurable and helpful activity. So as soon as you get the Dr's ok you might try and get to a pool. 

Take your meds as advised and ice regularly. Listen to your body, but don't give in to all it's whinges! 

Jodi - Post 9 weeks

• Posted

Oh Jayne, I think we have all been where you are. Nightimes are horrendous and I resorted to getting a low dose sleeping tablet from my GP. This was a godsend. Perhaps you could try this. You are probably at your lowest point at the moment both pain wise and emotionally and its so hard facing it day in and out. One of these days you will wake up and feel just a little bit better and you will know you are on the mend albeit slowly.let the tears flow Jayne, it does actually help. Wish you well my freind.
  • Posted

Hi Jayne it sounds like me at just over two weeks. I am 6months post surgery. 

You will feel better soon.  I used to sleep with a pillow under my knees. It hurt to lay with them straightened out. Sleeping on side came later. My RX pain meds put me to sleep. The pain meds were my relief from pain and gave me sleep. We all heal differently, but you are a new surgery.  It will get better. Pain meds are necessary for sleep and take the stress away. Keep us posted. I didn't do exercises if they hurt me in the beginning.  Waited for healing. 

• Posted

Hi Jayne

I know just how you feel, as many of us have said the first few weeks can be a nightmare.  Weeks 3-4 were my worst, felt really down and tearful especially with the pain. Slept on the sofa until week 4 and then when I managed to lay on my side it made a difference to my sleep.  I still don't sleep through the night and have to move around every couple of hours to get comfortable.  I also got a support cushion to help me keep my leg raised and used this in bed as I found it hurt to have my leg flat on the bed. Keep up with your exercises, making sure you ice afterwards. I took co-codamol and ibrufrofen to help with the pain, and it is only now at 13 weeks that I don't take any painkillers at all during the day and only occasionally at night if my knee is feeling sore.

You will get through this albeit slowly and then suddenly feel much better and the cloud will lift.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.