TKR: Do we actually improve? Or just find ways to make it not hurt so much?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm getting on for around six months post op now and It occured to me this morning, while getting out of my car after having arrived at work, that it seems to be much easier than it was previously.  So I paid attention to exactly how I was managing to get out of the car more easily.

It transpires that I still have to have the door wide open, and the seat as far back as possible, to enable me to get my right leg out of the car (right knee being the replaced knee joint), I swing both my legs out and 'ground' them, and then shuffle towards the edge of the seat and using my right elbow/arm as a lever against the outside of the door pillar, use that to come to a standing position.  It all sounds very complicated and fairly slow, but it happens 'almost' without thinking about it, and in a couple of seconds.  I have no pain and all seems very second nature, but in my heart I know it's anything but natural.

I just wonder if we sort of adapt ourselves into whatever task we're doing, so it doesn't hurt, or whether, we are actually improving.

2 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You've just described me getting out of my car I'm 15 weeks post right TKR and I think you are so right about us adapting and finding ways to not notice the pain.

i guess I have a few more weeks to go before I'm as far on as you 

but I can't ever imagine this stupid fat tight knee ever feeling like my own 

• Posted

It's funny when someone else describes exactly the things you do yourself isn't it?  I have a bit of a habit of doing that....and people will often come back to me and say exactly as you did...Maybe I spend too much time 'thinking' about things...and then have to put them in words for posterity, I don't know....
  • Posted

I am the same. I'm 8 months post op and nearly back to normal I think. However if someone parks too close to me I have a real struggle to get out of the car. Mine is the right knee too. This morning whilst coming down the stairs I was really concsious of the artificial knee and thought I could actually feel it as being very different to the other one. Not noticed this before. Think I could feel something like a big lump attached to the bone. Has anyone else felt this? Waiting for left knee to be done in the New Year. Doesnt look too good though according to the t.v. last night. Lots of cancellations. 
    • Posted

I'm frightened to death of kneeling on my new knee...Just in case I were to actually sink backwards and the bend on my knee is overdone....So I kneel on the good one and the operated one kinda goes in whatever direction it wants to and feels comfortable, without having to bend it too much...The things we do eh?
    • Posted

Hi Joan,

Although 'the knee' is no longer the centre of my universe, I am always aware of it and call it 'my alien knee'.  My physio tells me it can take nearer to a year before it feels part of me, but I have my doubts.

Like you, I am having a second TKR in early 2015.

Lynn 25 weeks post op

• Posted

Isn't it funny they (whoever 'they' are) don't bother to tell you these things before you have it done!
    • Posted

Absolutely.  With the number of TKR's Consultants perform, I find it impossible to comprehend they are not aware of the psychological affect this op has on their patients but, as far as I can ascertain from this forum, NOONE is forwarned of the mental affect it has.

When I pointed this out to my Consultant, he appeared quite surprised, but it is the norm.  Surely someone has mentioned it to him before?

I believe they just look after the mechanics and have little or no interest in the aftermath.

Lynn 25 weeks post op

• Posted

Yes of course you're right...and they do seem totally oblivious to it.  Something that (they now say) will take 12 months or more to get back to anything like normality, is one hell of a big deal....Like you say, I think they're more concerned with the mechanics....That's their job I suppose...And of course once it's done...we all muddle through somehow..because we have to...and of course it doesn't cost the NHS any money to tend us for the peripheral 'problems'....Cut backs I suppose....We're all in this together aren't we Mr Cameron!!!....
    • Posted

You're right, Lynn. Mine made sure he told me about all the risks involved, how it would take up to 2 years to feel the full benefit, that 80% of the work would be up to me and how 20% of people are unhappy with their new knee. But he didn't mention the psychological effects. 
    • Posted

Hi

no one told me anything about how long the recovery would be ..all I was told it would be painful after the Spinal block had worn off and Wow it hit me like a ton of bricks

i don't really know what I expected but I do think we ought to be prepared properl on what to expect.

i know everyone recovers at different rates but we should be told what to expect 

I went out for a Christmas meal earlier today and sat for over 2hours 

since getting home my Icepack has become my best friend

there was a man there who is on the waiting list for his knee doing and he asked what it was like... I just said it was very painful  but as I didn't want to put him off I didn't elaborate.

but...Onwards and Upwards

• Posted

Hi Pete,

I understand what you are saying!  I think we do improve but it takes time.  I've been doing jobs about the house this week and have been thinking how much better/more able I am at doing them than I've been for the last ten years or so. It will be two years at the end of January since I had my left TKR and it is 16 months since I had my right one.

I am ok getting in and out of the car as long as I can open the door fully.  I do manage but with difficulty if someone parks too close and I can't open the door properly.

The thing I really struggle with is kneeling.  I think it is the sensation I can't stand, so if I do anything on the floor, I end up shuffling along on my bottom to the nearest chair! - not a pretty sight!   Once I decided to sit on the grass in the garden so I could do some weeding - I got stuck for a considerable length of time!

I think we all have to be patient!  Eventually, it will be worth it!

Polly

• Posted

Hi Polly...and I bet you're still playing hoop-la putting your underwear on!..hahaha...I know I am!
    • Posted

I only struggle with one sock!!!

At least we can laugh about it!

• Posted

It's just as well really isn't it?.....Although (I can't remember who it was) took exception to me being a bit flippant about things.

I know we've all had days when we're on a complete downer and at our wits end, but it's really only a passing phase, so I tend to laugh things off...It's jus my way of dealing with 'stuff'

• Posted

Me too Pete 

after all they say aughter is the best medicine 

• Posted

Hi Polly and Pete, my consultant told me at my 3/4 month check up to avoid kneeling. I don't fancy it that much anyway but was a bit disappointed. Like Pete says, you adapt though, don't you? I use a pillow or cushion and kneel on my good knee and to get up put the pressure on the good knee and sort of swing the other leg round 😄 I'm not too bad getting out of the car but usually pull the seat back - mine is my left knee. 

I think you're right too Pete when you say you get used to pain. I've suffered from sciatica type pain from a tight piriformis muscle (in the buttock) Some days it's worse than others but, as my knee is definitely now stronger, I've decided to walk through the pain! If I didn't have this nerve pain I'd feel pretty good - definitely walking better than before the op and I'm just 22 weeks post op. I'm hoping by the 12 to 18 month time I'll be nearly normal, whatever that is😄 At 64 and with other aches and pains can't expect to be like a 21 yr old 😄😄 

• Posted

Thanks for that, Jennifer.  My physio showed me how to use a pillow!  However my problem is, I haven't got a good knee as I've had them both replaced!  I'll have to continue on my hands and feet - at least I'm using the muscles in my arms!

• Posted

😀😀😀 love your sense of humor (and your posts!) and you described how I get out of the car as well Pete. 

You were one of the "regulars" on this forum when I first came on after my TKR 5 months ago. Always good to hear from you and read how you are coming along.

Betty 

• Posted

Yep betty I'm still skipping along, doing a merry dance..(if you believe that you'll believe anything)....Or should that be "Being lead a merry dance"?...hahaha...Hope you're doing ok....
    • Posted

Wow you are clever 😄 I want to master getting up and down quickly to play with my grandchildren on the floor. I'll have to work on it 😄 
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, you really "hit the nail on the head"  ( as we say here, ha) about being in our sixties and up, we will never be like a 21 year old again! We tend to want to blame every ache and pain on our TKR but once you get one thing fixed, new problems pop up!

How long have you had a tight piriformis muscle? Are you able to get relief in any way? Injections? 

The weeks seem to whiz by, don't they? Here we are at 22 weeks already! 

Betty

• Posted

Me too, Jennifer.  Getting down on the floor with my grandchildren takes such a time they've already lost interest and are onto the next thing!

It's the one thing I miss most.

Lynn 25 weekz

• Posted

I've only had this tight muscle since the op. It was contributing significantly to my hamstring pains so the physio says. It is improving with the exercises and stretches so I'm hoping it'll go eventually and I won't need injections. We'll see .....

Yes, the weeks are flying by. My first day back in "work" today - looking after one of my grandsons. It didn't go too badly but I was glad of hubbie's help. I've got him again tomorrow morning then a break till after Christmas. Keeps me busy 😊 Hope you're still doing well. Jen x

• Posted

We could do with a seat that goes up and down like those for the bath 😄😄 
    • Posted

What a brilliant idea ...perhaps you should patent it and I would willingly be your first customer 

Jeanbiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.