TKR, having hip & IT issues not bending well

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks TKR post op.  I was doing well at 3 weeks and pushed myself a bit too much and have now had regression.  When I bend and straighten my knee I get shooting pains down my leg.  I am almost straight and can only get 95 degrees after my PT massages and loosens it.  My leg is still extremely stiff and I have a limp and cannot bend it when I walk.  I'm 45 years old and super frustrated.  Anybody out there experience something similar?  Advice?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you been icing and elevating? You're still in the beginning stage of healing! Slow down. It's a long process to recovery and your body is telling you you overdid it. That kept happening to me. Then I had to back off rest ice and elevate. The PTs will push you to the point where you have to tell them NO! Don't let them set you back. You're doing great so far. Just take it easy for a few days till the pain subsides. Take your pain meds as directed. Don't wait for the pain to start. Stay ahead of it. Put a pillow under your entire leg to elevate it. Sleep whenever you can. Naps are good. Stay hydrated and know you're in it for the long haul! I bought an exercise bike. It helped except I kept overdoing it and then couldn't walk! Had to use crutches whenever that happened. It's been 4 months and I'm feeling normal. Just hang in there. It will get better each week and month.

• Posted

I had tried to only take my pain meds in the morning and before bed and my PT told me that I had to still take them as directed.  I hate the foggy feeling, but I have been doing it.  Thanks for your post.
  • Posted

It's going to take time to heal. Longer then anyone wants or expects. Be patient and do your stretching and exercises but don't overdue it./

• Posted

You might well have over done it. I find it difficult to get the balance right - exercise - rest - medication etc

Shooting pains not good but not disastrous- speak to physio.

• Posted

Yes I have, the healing process is different for everyone. The PT think we are all the same. Hot baths icing elevation and rest.

I did not get to where you have written to around 8 weeks.

My PT said if the exercise pain does not stop 20 minutes after the exercises , my knee is not ready for exercise.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi I am also almost 4 weeks post op on Tuesday coming and sooo frustrated leg feels like lead don't sleep much more uncomfortable than pain can bend leg when pushed although i do the exercises 4 x daily but struggling along, I think by reading on here that we have to be a little bit more patient with ourselves

Jan

• Posted

Agreed.  It is much harder and more mentally taxing and frustrating than I had anticipated.  Good luck with your recovery journey.
    • Posted

Thank you I hope you feel better soon too, it's s long process which I at any stage wasn't told, I was told could get back to work at 4 weeks which is definitely not possible for me

• Posted

You're one month into a recovery that will take six to twelve.  There will be advances, setbacks and plateaus that you have to push past.  None of this will be easy.  Some tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Don't "expect" anything...frustration is not an option, just wasted energy.  Be more Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better".  And don't compare yourself to anyone else.  We all recover differently.

• Posted

Like the kids in the back seat..."Are we there yet?"  Response: "We'll get there when we get there.  Now don't ask me again and stop hitting your sister!"

There's a whole range of recovery times and experiences.  You will not know where you were on that scale until you're done and look back.  Can't know the ending while you're stuck in the middle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.