TKR Ice therapy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 8wks post op and I am dealing with stiffness. I do the exercises at home, and I go to therapy 3xs a week. I even tried water exercise and each feels good. My issue is that once I finish, my knee stiffens back up. I have gained as much as 78 degrees range of motion. I ice, medicate, and elevate. I know TKR is a brutal procedure but what else can I do to keep rom? I have remained positive though.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you could get your doctor to prescribe the CPM.  It's a machine that you can place your leg in and it elevates and works your leg without all the pain.

• Posted

I have the cpm machine and it helps as long as I use it, but once I get out of it my knee stiffen back up. I have a flexonator too.
  • Posted

Phillip I just posted to Corrine's discussion - the stiffness and soreness after not moving for a while is completely normal - I was told by my doc and pt therapist that that stiffness may take a year or so to go away - just keep doing what you are doing and it will get better - but as they have all said to me it's a marathon not a sprint ! Best wishes!

• Posted

Thank you and I will continue to do what I'm doing.

• Posted

You sound normal to me.  I'm 12 weeks post-op and knee still feels tight/stiff, especially after activitiy.  I'm told the stiffness could last as long as a year.

• Posted

Are you doing what PTcalled heel slides. Yoga strap on foot bend knee and pull for 15 seconds. You're 8 weeks/ very short time / I was in PT for more than a year/ swelling for 3 months/ both knees/ I was always sore but a good Sore from pushing it at PT. Swimming is great. Ice after exercise. You'll see improvement it just takes months but you'll get there. Dave

• Posted

I found out that my knee respond much better to heat. When I get in the whirlpool and do exercises, I feel better but I get stiffness a while later. I have to keep pushing no matter what.
  • Posted

Hello I had my TKR this past June 30th 2016 what's that 9 weeks,OK I have been having the same problems. My Doctors and PT along with everyone else have been telling me push thew it gets better .I can finally say it's getting better,I'm not one of those that had there tkr and can say my rom (bend) has been good it's only been tops70%.

Then this past week with hard work and going to PT I saw 90% for first time.WOOP WOOP!! Yes like you say Philip it seems to drop back down again.

Dropped back down to 75%,well this weekend something gave I don't know what my rom is today but I couldnt sit in a chair or on the couch and get my surgery knee to bend back against the couch or chair.Well today it now goes all the way back against the couch like it should.So what I'm trying to tell you from my experience and frustration with my tkr it takes time.,But don't be to hard on yourself it's going to get better one day at a time...After this weekend I'm feeling a lot better about my TKR.Good luck ,hang in there.Swelling will go up and down that's for sure And the hardness.One day at a time..I can see the light finally..Ice Ice Elevate elevate.GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Totally right.  This is NOT a linear recovery...there are good days and bad days, progress and setbacks.  However, if you do the work, the trend is ALWAYS upward.  Don't get down on yourself...stay positive!!!

• Posted

I appreciate your encouragement. I'll keep on working. The thing that bothers me is I KNOW I'm doing the exercises plus more and the pt and my Dr acts as though I should have more than 90 degrees. I had a manuel knee manipulation a few weeks ago and that didn't keep my rom. I come to the point that no one is going to push me or compare my recovery to someone else.

• Posted

Good work Feather your knee is responding. Keep after the ROM EXERCISE, 9 weeks your getting flexibility, now you can start rebuilding the leg strength you had before your knee slowed you down! Hope all goes well.
  • Posted

Hi Phillip .. I'm 11mths post op and still suffer with a stiff knee some days like today it's sheer hell and others not so bad.  I still have severe swelling which doesn't help but my ROM is 110 when last saw surgeon.  You're doing everything right it just takes time .. I have a small pedal machine that I find helpful when my knee is really stiff I use it for about 30mins then ice and find it helps.  I also do leg slides on the bed for my bend but some days are better than others just depends on the swelling. 

Remember this is one hell of a journey we're on that takes anywhere from 12-18+mths depending on the knee.  Great to hear you have a positive attitude that will help you heaps!

Cheers... Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.