TKR Incision/scar

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have yet another question regarding my moms knee replacement,

She had her knee replacement 25 days ago and got her staples out last week...and we just took off the bandage they put on it i noticed that there is some dry blood on the incision....is that normal?

did anyone else experience this?

is there anything you suggest putting on the wound to help with the healing process of the scar? i heard vitamin e- anything else?

thanks again in advance for all your helpful input smile

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is normal to have some residual dried blood on or near a wound that has been closed with staples.

The scar should start to heal on it's own accord over time but may not completely disappear.

I would advise against putting any cream on the area unless your mother has been given a specific ok  by your physician.

If she is still in doubt I would advise that she makes a phone call to the phyisician to check it out.

Best wishes

Rod

• Posted

Very normal and shouldn't be .medicated. It will eventually heal itself and fall off. It may take several weeks but it will happen. Down line you can rub Vit E oil or equivalent deep into the scar and it will soften and heal at a faster rate.
  • Posted

Hello

I had scabs that leaked slightly for at least 6 weeks until it eventually healed up. I rubbed e45 cream on my wound once it was healed and that has helped too.

• Posted

The general rule is, if in doubt ask  the professional medical person who is involved in your mothers case.

As every case, and every person if different do not simply listen to other people who might or might not have had similar surgery. 

• Posted

Guess I should have mentioned that if you see any unusually heavy amounts of drainage or strange colored (yellow, green etc) or I'd the knee is unusually hot, see you doc immediately. I had staph and had to have the knee reopened and the siak removed , the area flushed and a packet of antibiotics placed in area and click send up. The incubation period for that particular strain of staph is 30 days. A PICC line had to be inserted and had 2 months of antibiotic infusion (daily). There were many other indicators other than drainage as well, high fever, nausea, voting, dehydration and severe pain

As far as the scar area, just keep it clean as advised by the sugerical team and follow doctors protocol when bathing and drying

• Posted

As long as the blood was dry, it shoudn't be a problem.

People use a variety of creams/ointments on their scars. However my consultant advised me against it, saying as long as it was pink on the outside it was still healing on the inside

I was advised to use some moisturiser later oN when my scar became rather dry.

• Posted

Hi If in doubt go to see your GP. The Sister at the surgery prob will was the would with sayline. Do NOT self adminster the scar/would.

• Posted

I thik they recommend that you dont use any creams ect on the scar until its completely healed, once it has i have been told to use Bio-oil..
  • Posted

yes thats normal , you will know if there is infection as her knee will be very hot and sore to tough , i used bio oil and rubbed it in to my knee 2 or 3 times a day , massarge helps the blood flow , not on any open scar though , and look after your mum this is a tough opp to get over with
  • Posted

I had a few scabs for a few weeks. I just kept a dry dressing that i got from the chemist to prevent my dog catching them. They fell off on their own without any cream 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.