TKR issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

2017 has not been a good year. I had arthoscopic on my left knee in March. This cleanup worked, but made my knee a lot looser due to an acl injury that happened 20 years ago. Next option was to tighten the knee with reconstructive surgery. After talking to the doc about the condition of my knee and the removal of the inserted acl, we decided to bypass the reconstructive surgery and go with a tkr in June. My ROM has been bad, it feels as of the is a hard stop at 90 degrees, a lot of pain trying to progress past 90 degrees, and the new knee feels and looks huge (overstuffed). I have had 25 sessions at physical therapy, 3 different therapist say the knee is so dang tight. I had a manipulation a few weeks ago and also has a small amount of scar tissue removed, but the knee is right back where it was before the last surgery. At what point do you look for a second opinion on a possible revision? My knee bent 130 degrees before the tkr. I am 44 and I need to get back to work 100%.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh god you are my worse fear. I'm currently 8 weeks post op been stuck at 90 degrees for 4 weeks. My surgeon said last week if it hasn't improved in 6 weeks it will be manipulated under anaethetic. I was hoping if it was manipulated I would get a decent range of motion. I'm now 48 and really want to get back to work. I work on intensive care unit so I will  be on my feet all day so it's important I'm 100% fit before returning. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My surgery was done on May 31st. I was 73 degrees 2 days after surgery. I was at 90 for weeks, pt was aggressively bending the knee and I had to tap out on several occasions due to the pain. I thought this past manipulation was the answer and it would be smooth sailing. Only to be right back where we were before. Follow up with the doctor on Monday so I will see what his input is.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Do you know what? I didn't know any of this was possible before having the surgery. I've learnt so much. I think if  I knew that my range of movement was going to be affected I wouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. I'm glad the arthritic pain had gone but this is 10 times worse I just hope it improves. I'm having a really bad day today. I've been told by work colleagues that I have been withdrawn from a course in February be X use of the amount of sickness I've had. Hearing news like this isn't really helping 😡

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree. I knew nothing about these issues. Had several guys get them done at work and no issues. I also have that abaility to do more at work, but they want me to be able to be on my feet all the time. I guess I will and just deal with the swelling and pain until a fix is decided or it decides it want to cooperate.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just left my doctors office to go through the same routine. Keep stretching and doing your PT. So we had a lengthy discussion from there, and I left there heading to another revision doctor. I need to have the top insert and spacer replaced. Now all this gets to roll into next year and will be more time off of work. I am not happy at all.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this, you just want it sorting out dont you especially if it's preventing you from getting back to work. I'm still waiting for my knee to cooperate itch what I'm trying to achieve. I've bought myself and air cast cryocuff. It was expensive but it's working. It's reducing the swelling so I'm having less pain and I'm managing to push my knee a bit further. I just seem to have reduced flexion again in the morning. I'm going to keep at it until I see the consultant again in January. Good luck x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up